EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) -- There's nothing like the crisp, cool air to get you excited for the changing seasons. Even your pet is most likely happy to get away from that sticky weather. But fall is also a time where dangers are lurking for our furry friends.
Nikki Ristau joined Hello Wisconsin from Bob's House for Dogs for details. Mouse poisons have anticoagulants which blocks the composition of vitamin k which participates in blood clotting.
If a dog ingests these poisons in a small amount, it could take days to show symptoms.
- blood showing up externally from nose, rectum, or bloody vomit
- abdomen swelling from blood accumulation
- difficulty breathing due to blood in lungs
Mouse traps can hurt kids and pets, and like glue traps, they leave you handling mice which can be dangerous to people and pets. Mice carry a lot of diseases such as: Hantavirus-a terrible and sometimes deadly respiratory disease. Instead try: slow release essential oil granules or even having a pet cat who hunts- then carefully dispose of mouse.
Mushrooms- They seem to pop up everywhere in the Fall.
Some mushrooms can cause nervous system trouble, some can cause cell destruction, and some can wreak havoc on the gastrointestinal area.
School supplies- can cause obstructions; PVC's in plastics are toxic, salts on sidewalks, runoff on streets- puddles your dog walk through can contain urine from wild animals, which can put them at risk for "leptospirosis" which is a disease known to cause kidney failure. If you take your dog around wet areas/ lakes/farms ect. consider talking to your vet about the "leptospirosis vaccination".
Antifreeze: has a tempting sweet taste to animals, and can cause irreversible kidney problems.
Salts: Hundreds of dogs die each year from road salts. Most are toxic and at the very least can burn and cause irritation to paws. It is super important to rinse off your dogs feet with warm water after they are out in the snow, sidewalks, or roads. If your dog would allow protective waterproof booties, that's great too!
Do NOT let your dog drink from puddles ever!
School supplies: paper clips, pen caps, erasers can all cause blockages and are a choking hazard to pets. Many supplies are non-toxic, but it doesn't take a lot to get an intestinal obstruction in a dog or cats. A big one also is hair ties.