Filipino doctor denies he financed New York bombing plots

MGN
By  | 

MANILA, Philippines (AP) -- A Filipino doctor accused by U.S. authorities of plotting attacks in New York City, including in Times Square, has appeared in a Manila court and told reporters that money he sent to a charity was misconstrued as funds intended to finance the disrupted plots.

Russell Salic smiled Tuesday as he was led away in handcuffs by government agents after his brief appearance at the Manila court that is handling a U.S. extradition request which he has vowed to fight.

A U.S. official said the U.S. Justice Department will do everything to have Salic stand trial in America in the "extremely serious" case.

U.S. prosecutors said last month that Salic was one of three Islamic State group sympathizers who plotted attacks in New York that were thwarted.

AP-WF-11-07-17 1051GMT



 
The comment sections of our web set are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from the viewers but we are not obligated to post comments we feel inappropriate or violate our guidelines. Here are some of the criteria you should follow when posting comments:

Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. Children and families visit this site. We will delete comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.

We will delete all comments using hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our web site.

Comments should not attack other readers personally.

We will delete comments we deem offensive, in bad taste, or out of bounds. We are not obligated to post comments that are rude or insensitive.

We do not edit user-submitted comments.

As a host WEAU 13 News welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However, we have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason WEAU 13 News reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus