Gas leak causes neighborhood evacuation in Altoona

ALTOONA, Wis. (WEAU) -- Dozens of people are evacuated after a gas leak in Altoona.

It happened just before 1:30 Sunday afternoon at Hillcrest Estates.

Altoona Fire Chief Mark Renderman said maintenance staff were installing new electric service to one of the homes and struck a gas line.

He said the staff called 911 immediately.

The fire department set up a perimeter and evacuated people in the nearby area.

Xcel Energy arrived and stopped the leak.

Chief Renderman said the evacuation lasted for approximately 30 minutes.

No one was hurt.



 
The comment sections of our web set are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from the viewers but we are not obligated to post comments we feel inappropriate or violate our guidelines. Here are some of the criteria you should follow when posting comments:

Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. Children and families visit this site. We will delete comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.

We will delete all comments using hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our web site.

Comments should not attack other readers personally.

We will delete comments we deem offensive, in bad taste, or out of bounds. We are not obligated to post comments that are rude or insensitive.

We do not edit user-submitted comments.

As a host WEAU 13 News welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However, we have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason WEAU 13 News reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus