Guatemala resumes search for victims of volcano eruption

Fuego Volcano erupts in Guatemala | Image Source: Guatemala National Civil Police / MGN
By  | 

GUATEMALA CITY (AP) — Guatemala's disaster agency says it is resuming the search for bodies after a weeklong suspension at the Volcano of Fire.

Conred spokesman David de Leon said Wednesday that rescuers are headed back into the impacted area.

At least 110 people were killed when the volcano erupted June 3, sending waves of super-heated debris down onto villages on its flanks. About 200 people are listed as missing and authorities continue working to identify some of the recovered bodies.

Heavy rains and continued volcanic activity led authorities to suspend their search last week. But families and friends of the missing have continued searching on their own in the hamlet of San Miguel Los Lotes.



 
The comment sections of our web set are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from the viewers but we are not obligated to post comments we feel inappropriate or violate our guidelines. Here are some of the criteria you should follow when posting comments:

Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. Children and families visit this site. We will delete comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.

We will delete all comments using hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our web site.

Comments should not attack other readers personally.

We will delete comments we deem offensive, in bad taste, or out of bounds. We are not obligated to post comments that are rude or insensitive.

We do not edit user-submitted comments.

As a host WEAU 13 News welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However, we have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason WEAU 13 News reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus