UPDATE: What charges could look like for suspects in bomb, gun threats

By  | 

MENOMONIE, Wis. (WEAU) -- Another life threatening message is found, this time at Menomonie High School, causing the school to go into lockdown for most of the day.

Courtesy: Menomonie School District

The message, "I'm going to shoot up this [expletive] school on 11/14" was written on a tissue and found this morning.

This is the third threat at a local high school in less than a week. A threat was found at Memorial High School last Wednesday, and another at Chippewa Falls High School, Monday.

Even though these threats have happened multiple times in the past six days, police, schools, and government officials are taking them all very seriously.

Students involved have been identified, a 15 year old and two 16 year olds, all of whom could face charges of terroristic threats and a bomb scare.

“They don't really have a full understanding, not only of the chaos it causes with law enforcement because you have to take them seriously,” says Eau Claire County Child Court Service Manager Rob Fadness. “I would guess that these matters typically will end up in the court.”

If you are 17, you're automatically charged as an adult. If you are younger than 14, you're processed in juvenile court. For 14, 15, or 16 year olds, a judge needs to determine whether you're tried as an adult or juvenile.

“One of the charges was a terrorist threat. That is a Class G felony. It's a $25,000 fine and ten years in prison. The other charge was a bomb scare, which is a Class I felony which is $10,000 and three and a half years or both. That's a big deal,” says Fadness.

Juvenile court charges are more lenient. Several options are counseling, supervision for a year with a long list of conditions to follow, or placement outside the home.

“Students and juveniles are not always thinking logically their emotions can color their judgement. That's why it's important for parents to talk to their kids about these things that are happening because they are very scary and talking to their kids about just how serious the ramifications of doing something like this would be. It’s not a joke and it's something that will follow them for a long time,” says Chippewa Falls Police Chief Matt Kelm.

It's still unclear how the school districts will be responding to these threats. According to Eau Claire Area School District Superintendent Mary Ann Hardebeck, consequences like suspension or expulsion are yet to be determined.

MENOMONIE, Wis. (WEAU) -- Menomonie High School was on a lockdown for most of the school day Tuesday after a threatening note was found in the girls’ bathroom.

The school district released a photo of the note Tuesday afternoon that threatened a gun related incident.

Officers searched the school, specifically lockers, for students’ safety Tuesday morning and throughout the afternoon. According to police, students were allowed to leave in the afternoon, if they had parent consent.

This is the third threat seen at a local high school in less than a week. A threat was found at Memorial High School last Wednesday and another at Chippewa Falls High School just Monday.



MENOMONIE, Wis. (WEAU) --Menomonie High School is on lockdown following a threat.

Menomonie Police said on Twitter Tuesday morning the threat was found in the girls’ bathroom. Police are at the school checking lockers. Police are asking parents to not come to the school. They said they will update the public as they are able.

Monday, Chippewa Falls Senior High School was placed ‘on hold’ following several threats in school bathrooms. Last week, Memorial High School in Eau Claire was evacuated for a threat found in a bathroom.