EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) -- This holiday weekend, many people will be traveling, firing up the backyard grill or enjoying fireworks. To safely enjoy the Fourth of July weekend, be sure to follow these safety tips.
While the best way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals, here are some safety tips if you plan to set them off at home:
1) Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
2) Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
3) Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
4) Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight a “dud.”
5) Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
Millions of people will be traveling on highways over the summer and especially the Fourth of July weekend:
1) Buckle seat belts, observe speed limits.
2) Do not drink and drive.
3) Pay full attention to the road- don’t use a cell phone to call or text.
4) Use caution in work zones.
5) Clean the vehicle’s lights an windows to help the driver see, especially at night. Turn the headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
Every year many people are injured while using charcoal or gas grills. Use these tips to help keep you and your family safe:
1) Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
2) Never grill indoors-not in the house, camper, tent or any enclosed area.
3) Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
4) Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
5) Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.