EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU)-- Students at UW-Eau Claire could help you get your taxes filed this season.
It's part of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through the IRS. To qualify for the service, you must have an income of $54,000 dollars a year or less.
Starting February 5th, students will be available to meet with clients every Monday until April 9 from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Royal Credit Union Shopko south office.
No service will be provided on March 19 when the university is closed for spring break.
Taxpayers seeking assistance must bring the following information:
• Photo ID
• Social Security cards for taxpayer and all dependents
• Earnings statements
• Copy of last year's tax return
• Childcare provider information
• Rent certificates from landlord or property tax statement
• Financial institution's routing and account numbers for direct deposit
• Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Care Statements.
To file taxes electronically on a married filing jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms. VITA volunteers cannot file married filing separately tax returns.