Fire burns down Apartment Building

A fire earlier tonight in an apartment forced three people to evacuate yet nobody was injured.
Firefighters from Eau Claire andTownship were called shortly before 5 P.M. to the fire off London Road behind the Eau Claire Athletic Club, with more than a dozen trucks needed to put down the blaze.
The fire at 3500 london road engulfed the top of the building quickly.
"We heard a big boom and then the fire department came by and told us to move people's cars and I walked outside and saw the fire and then we evacuated the building," said Joe Lozano, who was working at the Eau Claire Athletic Club next door.
The fire, which according to officials was likely caused by lightning, caused extensive damage to the building worth 400,000 dollars according to the manager.
"When we arrived on scene the roof was already engulfed in flames and it had covered the entire second story," Township Fire Department Assistant Chief Okie Allen said.
The two-story building houses eight units, with four on each floor.
The fire caused extensive water damage to the first floor along with extensive smoke and water damage to the second floor, plus completely destroying the roof.
Three people were inside the London Royale apartment building when the fire started, but all made it out safely.
"One is with the Red Cross and the other 2 found places to stay tonight. We'll be able to meet with them tomorrow," building manager Doug Ottum said.
Firefighters finally contained the fire shortly before seven.
The tenants made it out all right, but on Wednesday they'll search through the ashes for the remainder of their belongings along with a new place to live.