An 8-year-old Wood County boy is in critical condition Monday following a fire at his family's home Sunday.
Pittsville Fire Chief Jerry Minor says Mason Stascak was found by firefighters in the basement of the home where it's believed the fire started.
Minor says a pile of debris was found burning on the basement floor, which then melted a valve on a natural gas pipeline and caused the gas to ignite.
Minor says a preliminary investigation shows the child may have started the fire.
Stascak was transferred to UW Hospital in Madison.