Mold Prevention Tips

By  | 

There are thousands of different types of mold, and though many mold particles can't be seen with the naked eye, others can accumulate into visible spots in moist areas of your home. And though many molds aren't toxic, some can irritate your respiratory system, aggravating asthma or allergies.

When it comes to problems in your home, mold may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but safety experts will tell you it's all too common.

"Pretty much mold's going to be in every home, everywhere in the natural environment," Home Safety Expert Steven Senor said.

Experts say where it strikes depends on two things, warmth and moisture. Meaning areas with high humidity like bathrooms, laundry rooms or kitchens will be most susceptible.

"If you can see on the walls or on the corners it looks darkish or grayish that means there's mold that's visible," Senor said.

And where visible mold lies, Senor says there is likely more beneath the surface under your wallpaper, tiles or flooring.

"Molds come in all different colors, sometimes they smell, sometimes they don't," he said.

He also says sensitivity to mold can vary.

"They could have the runny nose, they could be like an allergy and sometimes people may have conditions like asthma that may be aggravated by mold," Senor said.

But, whether your health is affected or not, it's something you need to remove.

"The best thing to do is take a regular cleaning solution generally one part bleach, ten parts water," Senor said.

Then attack the source of the mold, controlling moisture with venting and fans. But now there's even a way to cut your mold risk before your home is built, with a new chemical treatment called Bluwood that builders apply to the framing of your home.

"We take away one of the elements mold needs to grow, it needs moisture and cellulose for a food source," Peder Anderson said.

For a 200 thousand square foot home, Bluwood costs around 5 thousand dollars, an investment Anderson says will be beneficial for years to come.

"If there's a mold issue with your house or your investment of property or development that could cost 10's of thousands of dollars," he said.

And that's a price, no homeowner wants to pay.

If you have mold in your home, Senor says it's usually safe to remove yourself, just be sure to wear disposable gloves. But, if you've had severe flooding or the area is larger than 10 square feet he says you should contact a professional cleaner.