By: Kelly Schlicht Email
By: Kelly Schlicht Email

Rod Schrader was in driving by with his family when a fire caught their attention

“I noticed a bright ball of light,” he says. “I just ran up to the bay window then and looked inside to see if anybody was in there."

95- year old Francis Introwitz was inside his Park Avenue home in Chippewa Falls last night, watching TV with his caretaker Shannon Doe. She says they didn't even know the garage was on fire.

“I heard the banging on the front door and I heard there's a fire in the garage, and I was like ‘Oh my God!’” she says.

Schrader says he went inside to help Introwitz, which Doe says she might not have been able to do herself.

"The guy actually lifted Frenchie up and put him in his wheelchair for me," says Doe.

Schrader says the front door had been blocked, but he cleared the way. Another man was waiting to help lower Introwitz down the steps.

"He came to help me out the door because there was no ramp there," says Introwitz.

Introwitz and Doe both made it out safe. Schrader says he doesn't think his actions were in any way heroic.

"I think of myself as a good Samaritan and I did what anyone else would do," says Schrader.

Francis Introwitz's son says he's very grateful for everyone who helped his father to safety.

The Chippewa Falls Fire Chief says Good Samaritans rarely are seen on fire scenes: Most people call, but don’t stop.

The Chippewa Falls Fire Department says a cigarette likely started the fire. The caretaker says she's sorry, because she was smoking behind the garage before the fire started.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by pjll Location: Eau Claire on Nov 18, 2009 at 03:38 PM
    Thank you Mr. Schrader! Frenchie is a local treasure. It is not just anyone you saved. THANK YOU-THANK YOU. I am so glad that everyone got out safely. Bless you and take care.
  • by Tom Arneberg Location: Chippewa Falls on Nov 18, 2009 at 09:28 AM
    Rod Schrader is an Assistant Scoutmaster in our Boy Scout troop (http://troop72.com). We are very proud of him -- way to go, Rod!! (And we're looking forward to hearing more details around the next campfire!)
  • by Darrin Location: Eau Claire on Nov 18, 2009 at 06:45 AM
    Sure is comforting to know there are good people like Mr. Schrader out there. He didn't have to stop. Great job Rod!!!!!
  • by Jimmy Location: Menomonie on Nov 18, 2009 at 03:41 AM
    Good Job to all.
  • by Unknown Location: Hallie on Nov 17, 2009 at 05:07 PM
    Not "anyone would have done" what Mr. Schrader did. I bet there were plenty of people that drove past that house before him and did NOTHING. He truly is a GOOD SAMARITAN.
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 70331052 - weau.com/a?a=70331052
Gray Television, Inc.