Gas Leak Apparent Cause of La Crosse Explosion

By  | 

A gas leak is apparently the cause of an explosion that leveled a downtown La Crosse business building around 8:00 o'clock Friday morning. This is the preliminary finding by La Crosse authorities.

No one was in the building located a 4th Street and Cameron Streets one block south of the Mississippi River Bridge. However, the building's owner said that if the explosion had occured 30 minutes later six people would have been on the job. The name of the business is Home Apartments, which is a property management firm. It was completely destroyed.

People living and working near the site said the explosion shook their offices and homes. One person employed by an accounting firm a half a block away claims she smelled gas in the vicinity Thursday.