WEAU | Eau Claire, Wisconsin | News, Weather, & Sports

Final Ruling in La Crosse Gas Explosion

By: Sheila Brown
By: Sheila Brown

The La Crosse Fire department has determined that the explosion and fire at the Home Apartments office in downtown La Crosse was caused by a metal stake that was being driven into the ground during construction.

Authorities say the metal stake pierced the gas service to the building which released the gas into the ground.

The gas migrated away from the leak and entered the building where it was ignited causing the explosion and fire.

No one was in the building located at 4th street and Cameron streets one block south of the Mississippi River Bridge. The building is a complete loss.


WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 841522 - weau.com/a?a=841522