NEW INFORMATION: House fire in Elk Mound reignites

By  | 

ELK MOUND, Wis. (WEAU) -- A house fire in Elk Mound reignited Tuesday night.

Crews were called back to the house on 211 University Street around 11 p.m. Tuesday night, where a fire had initially started Tuesday morning.

The Elk Mound Fire Chief on the scene told us while at first he was suspicious of the flames that had reignited, he believes the fire could have also started due to stray embers.

Earlier in the day, crews responded to an initial fire at that same house.

Investigators are trying to figure out what caused that fire that may have left more than $100,000 in damage to a house and the items inside.

The fire was reported to the Elk Mound Fire Department around 1:45 a.m. Tuesday. Fire Chief Les Shafer says he was the first to get to the scene, and found smoke coming out of the second story. He says an adult and seven children were all out of the two-story house when he got there. The flames were contained to the basement of the home. Shafer says the fire appeared to have started in the northwest corner of the basement. A couple of the children were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but nobody was taken to the hospital.

Shafer isn't aware of any suspicious circumstances surrounding the fire.
ELK MOUND, Wis. (WEAU) -- A family was left was displaced from their home after a fire early Tuesday morning.

It happened just before 2 a.m. on University Street. Crews fought the flames for several hours. They started leaving the scene around 5 a.m. The American Red Cross is working with the family, and providing food, clothes, and temporary housing. The organization says it will also help the family as they get closer to recovering from the fire.

There was no immediate word on what caused the fire, whether anyone was hurt, or the extent of the damage.
ELK MOUND, Wis. (WEAU) -- Fire crews were called to a house fire early Tuesday morning in Elk Mound.

The Menomonie Fire Department says crews were called to the fire at
211 University St. just before 2 a.m. Tuesday.

It took several hours to fight the flames, but crews began to leave the scene around 5 a.m.

There's no word on any injuries, or the extent of the damage.

Stay with WEAU news as we continue to monitor this story.