Man in custody after standoff and chase in Chippewa County

By  | 

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (WEAU)-- Deputies have a man in custody after a chase and standoff that lasted for several hours Monday morning.

The Chippewa County Sheriff's Department says 45-year-old George Bearden was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and is facing possible charges of battery and fleeing an officer. Jailers say he was booked on domestic battery, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, fleeing and failure to comply with an officer.

Deputies say late Sunday night, Bearden and his girlfriend got into a fight at a home near Chippewa Falls. The woman went to a neighbor's house for help and the neighbor called police.

Bearden then fled the home and a chase started that went through Lake Hallie and into Bloomer. Deputies lost sight of Bearden but were able to track his cell phone back to the home where the incident started.

SWAT teams from Eau Claire and Chippewa County responded and deployed chemical gas into the home around 7:30 a.m. Bearden was taken into custody a couple of hours later.

Crews shut down about a mile and a half of County Road K and a stretch of 65th Avenue for a while during the standoff.

Neighbor says they are shocked this happened in neighborhood.

"Kinda' scary you know? Watching them out there with their guns pulled and the swat team all over and checking the woods. I was glad he wasn't on my premises," Irma Lotts said.

“I go to open the shades and ‘wow’ and I thought George must be in the house. It’s sad because they are both nice people,” Ann Gardish said.

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (WEAU) – Negotiators are trying to convince a man suspected in a domestic incident to come out of a house east of Chippewa Falls.

Sheriff Jim Kowalczyk says investigators had just shot gas into the house near County Road K and 70th Avenue in the Town of Lafayette. Right now, crews have shut down about 1.5 miles of County Road K and a stretch of 65th Avenue north of a bar known as Bateman Tavern or Butch and Jackie’s. Kowalczyk says Eau Claire County’s armored vehicle is also at the scene.

The sheriff says investigators had been chasing the man since about 9 p.m. Sunday. He’s believed to have either argued with or fought with a woman sometime since Sunday night. Officers went after the car the man was driving in Chippewa Falls and through Lake Hallie. They eventually lost track of him, but he was spotted again in Bloomer. Officers there chased after the car, but lost him again. By tracking his cell phone, they followed him to the U.S. Highway 53/State Highway 29 interchange. After losing track of him again, investigators again tracked his cell phone, and found him at the home on County Road K and 70th Avenue.

Kowalczyk says he’s talked to the man by phone, and that he admitted to having a knife. He has not confirmed the man's name, but says that he is a convicted felon. There are no reported injuries at the scene. We also have a reporter at the scene, and we’ll bring you more information as it becomes available.