A boy saved a woman who was choking over the weekend at a campsite by using the Heimlich maneuver.
SAND CREEK, Wis. (WEAU) -- "I was really really scared and to not be able to catch your breath, that's a really scary thing," said Brenda Espeseth.
She knows first-hand what it feels like to ride the line of life and death.
"I thought this is it," she said.
To know she may not be here today, if not for someone else at the right place and the right time.
"She thanked me and glad I was there," said Tanner Nierenhausen.
Nierenhausen was playing outside his camper on Sunday. Brenda, his campsite neighbor, was inside her RV grabbing a quick bite. No one else was around. He saw Brenda choking and knew he had to do something.
"She was gasping for air and she really couldn't get any in, and her face was all red," he said.
Nierenhausen sprang into action and used the skills he learned listening to his mom teach life-saving skills to girl scouts.
"They had to do a safety course and I was really bored, so I listened kind of and I just learned you go like this and push underneath the rib cage," he said.
And even though everything seemed to happen so fast, the impact of Nierenhausen's quick thinking, quick action, lives on.
"I'm glad he was paying attention because it really paid off," said Bonnie Nierenhausen, Tanner's mom.
He, his mom and Brenda wants everyone to know how to do the Heimlich maneuver, should you ever be in a time and place when someone needs help.
"The key point is, just like Tanner was saying, get underneath the rib cage and push," Bonnie Nierenhausen said. "Pull in hard and an upper thrust just to get it out and he did it, two or three times with Brenda and the food particle dislodged where she could breathe again."
Simple steps. A valuable lesson.
"Words can't even express it," Espeseth said.
That could help save a life.
"I'm really proud too, that there's a nice young man next to me," Espeseth added.