Medical Rescue Ambulance Abstract Photo
LA CROSSE, Wis (WEAU)- The Food and Drug Administration is cautioning parents about the dangers of over the counter eye drops and nasal decongestant sprays.
A study done by the FDA identified 96 cases where children between the ages of 1 month to 5 years-old ingested the products within the span of 5 years.
Children are naturally curious, and if not locked away properly, medicine can easily be swallowed by little ones. Mother, Emily Rogge had quite the scare when her own son got in the medicine cabinet.
“He took several of my husbands allergy pills, so we called the poison control center. He was fine. I consider myself an overprotective parent and I never thought it would happen to me,” said Rogge.
No deaths have been reported of children who have ingested nasal spray or eye drops, but they can become seriously ill.
“It can make kids really, really sleepy and some of the sicker kids have ended up in comas,” said Gundersen Lutheran Pediatrician, Liz Hansen.
The common signs are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, distress, and sleepiness.
The drops and sprays are not required to have a child resistant closure, which means once they have their hands on it there is no second line of defense.
It’s a certain ingredient in the products called ‘imidazoline derivative’ that causes the kids to become sick. Hansen says the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has proposed a requirement for child-resistant packaging on these products.
Parents need to keep these products safely out of the reach of small children. If a child swallows eye drops or nasal sprays call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.