Family rescued from Carbon Monoxide poisoning

By: Kevin Hurd Email
By: Kevin Hurd Email

EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) -- "When it's cold and there are ways that you can get Carbon Monoxide in your building, it's very beneficial to have one," said Chief Bryon Bensen, a Battalion Chief with the Eau Claire Fire Department.

He is talking about a Carbon Monoxide Detector. If you do not have one in your home, let this be a reminder that you should get one.

Chief Bensen says tonight the fire department got a call about Carbon Monoxide poisoning at a home on 1st Reserve Street in Eau Claire. When firefighters arrived, the CO levels were alarming. No Carbon Monoxide Detector was found inside.

"Our crews put on their SEBA air masks and made entry into the building, they were also carrying a handheld Carbon Monoxide meter which indicated very high levels inside the building," he said.

He says two children were able to get out of the house and firefighters found them with their grandmother outside when they arrived. The parents meanwhile, were unresponsive inside.

"Their condition was serious at the scene because CO poisoning can affect how much Oxygen gets to your brain, but last reports were they were doing better at the hospital," he added.

The chief said the CO poisoning came from a generator that was running in the basement.

"Anytime you run a gas powered device in a building, you will generate Carbon Monoxide," he added.

He says if you use a generator, it should be outside and far enough away from the building so the wind cannot blow the fumes back in.

And if you do not have a CO detector, you should get one. The chief says when it comes to this type of gas, moments matter.

"The outcome could have been different if they were in the building any longer than they were," he said.


The comment sections of our web set are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from the viewers but we are not obligated to post comments we feel inappropriate or violate our guidelines. Here are some of the criteria you should follow when posting comments:

Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. Children and families visit this site. We will delete comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.

We will delete all comments using hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our web site.

Comments should not attack other readers personally.

We will delete comments we deem offensive, in bad taste, or out of bounds. We are not obligated to post comments that are rude or insensitive.

We do not edit user-submitted comments.

As a host WEAU 13 News welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However, we have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason WEAU 13 News reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 203517181 - weau.com/a?a=203517181
Gray Television, Inc.