Fire causes $175,000 damage to home

The fire happened Wednesday morning near River Falls.  No one was hurt.

MGN Online

RIVER FALLS, Wis. (RELEASE FROM RIVER FALLS FIRE DEPT.)-- On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM, the River Falls Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at 83 170th St in Pleasant Valley Township. The owner of the property called the fire in after returning home from doing errands.

Arriving crews found heavy smoke and heat in inside the home and were able to get the fire under control in less than a half hour. Crews remained on scene an additional hour to extinguish hard to reach spot fires. It appeared the fire had smoldered in the house for some time prior to the fire department arrival.

Twenty-four River Falls firefighters battled the blaze. Roberts Fire responded to the scene to help provide water if needed. River Falls Ambulance and St. Croix Sheriff’s department also provided support.

There were no firefighter or civilian injuries. The initial dollar loss estimate for building and contents is $175,000 and the fire has been determined to be accidental, suspected to be caused from burning embers that fell from the wood stove.


The comment sections of our web set are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from the viewers but we are not obligated to post comments we feel inappropriate or violate our guidelines. Here are some of the criteria you should follow when posting comments:

Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. Children and families visit this site. We will delete comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.

We will delete all comments using hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our web site.

Comments should not attack other readers personally.

We will delete comments we deem offensive, in bad taste, or out of bounds. We are not obligated to post comments that are rude or insensitive.

We do not edit user-submitted comments.

As a host WEAU 13 News welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However, we have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason WEAU 13 News reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 248619271 - weau.com/a?a=248619271
Gray Television, Inc.