EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) -- Firefighters say they're "pretty sure" they know what caused a fire early Monday morning, but have not finished their investigation.
The fire at 521 Union Street was reported by a neighbor around 5:15 a.m. Monday. Eau Claire Fire and Rescue says the fire apparently started in the front porch area, then spread up a wall and into the roof area of the two-story house. Firefighters had some difficulty getting to the fire, in part, because of different additions to the house. There were five people in the house at the time, and they tried to put it out before crews got there. They all ended up escaping. A cat escaped too. Nobody was hurt. Investigators say the circumstances surrounding the fire are "not suspicious in any way."
The fire caused nearly $35,000 in damage. The fire department says the home is considered a local landmark. Battalion Chief Tim Deziel says electrician Asa Foreman built the stick-style home in the late 1800's and lived there until 1903. That's when someone from the Daniel Shaw Lumber Company bought it.
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU) -- Fire crews knocked down a house fire in downtown Eau Claire early Monday morning.
It happened at 521 Union Street around 5:30am.
Dispatchers quickly issued a second-alarm.
A man who says he lives in the house tells WEAU 13 News a number
of students live in the duplex. He says the fire started while they were sleeping, everyone escaped safely, and no one was hurt. So far no word on how the fire started.
We'll continue following this story and we'll update this story as we gather new information.