Hayward thrift shop fire believed to be electrical in nature

Nearly 35 firefighters responded to the fire scene.

HAYWARD, Wis. (WEAU) -- A fire chief believes flames destroyed a thrift store building Monday.

The fire happened Monday afternoon at the Northwoods Humane Society Thrift Shop on Main Street in Hayward. Hayward Fire Chief Mike Herrmann believes a light fixture started the fire. When crews got to the scene, they found heavy smoke coming from the building, and eventually saw flames coming from the attic. Herrmann says witnesses reported the fire starting in light fixtures on the first floor. It got into the floor structure above, and then ended up in the attic. Nobody was hurt. Officers had evacuated the building and buildings on either side of the shop. One of those buildings ended up with smoke and water damage. Crews battled the flames at the shop for almost four hours.

The store donates its proceeds to the Northwoods Humane Society.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 250852911 - weau.com/a?a=250852911