Hazmat team called for tractor fire and ammonia leak

Farmington Fire Dept.
By  | 

LA CROSSE, Wis-- The La Crosse Fire Department Regional Hazmat team was called to contain an ammonia leak in Farmington, Saturday.

Capt. Travis George says a tractor towing a tank filled with ammonia caught on fire Saturday afternoon. Fire crews found small amounts of ammonia leaking from the disc implements feeder line. Hazmat team members than reduced the pressure in the lines to stop the tank from exploding.

George says ammonia is both flammable and highly toxic as an asphyxiant and a strong irritant.

No one was hurt in the fire. The tank and tractor sustained major damage.

Farmington Fire Department also assisted.