Henning says the spill was cleaned up and it is safe for students to start class Tuesday.
NEW AUBURN, Wis. (WEAU)-- A hazmat team was called to the New Auburn school Friday.
District Administrator, Brian Henning, says a staff member dropped a jar containing formaldehyde in the Science room of the school around eight Friday morning. As a precaution, a hazmat crew was called in to clean it up.
School is not in session until next week so only custodians and a couple of faculty were in the building. They were evacuated but returned to the building later in the day.
(RELEASE FROM CHIPPEWA FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES)
The West Central Wisconsin Hazardous Materials Response Team was dispatched for a spill at the New Auburn Area High School on Friday, August 30, 2013, 8:38 a.m. The Chippewa Falls Fire and Emergency Services Hazardous Materials team and members from the Eau Claire Fire Department Chemical Assessment Team responded at 9:17 a.m. Approximately three gallons of Formaldehyde were spilled in a classroom while school staff were preparing for the school opening next week. Two staff members were involved. They were not seriously injured but were instructed to get a medical assessment done, which they did.
Upon arrival, the team made contact with the New Auburn fire chief and reassessed the scene. The team made two entries into the area to contain and clean up the spill. The school was thoroughly ventilated and then monitored for air quality with no signs of residue from the spill. WRR Environmental Services removed the contained chemical waste from the site.
The Chippewa Falls Fire and Emergency Services Hazardous Materials Team and Eau Claire Fire Department Chemical Assessment Team left the scene at 12:26 p.m.
Formaldehyde is a flammable and corrosive liquid/gas. It is an oral, dermal and inhalation hazard when exposed.
Mike Hepfler, Battalion Chief, Chippewa Falls Fire & Emergency Services