Murphy says this kind of incident has happened a couple of times during the past year, though not at this particular convenience store.
LA CROSSE, Wis. (WEAU) -- Nobody was hurt in a leak of a natural gas additive that had several people calling emergency crews for help.
Division Chief Jeff Murphy of the La Crosse Fire Department says it happened at a convenience store on the north side of La Crosse Friday morning. The department says dispatchers first received calls from Gillette Street and River Valley Road around 7:45 a.m. Murphy says the smell made its way across Myrick Marsh and La Crosse Street. Crews received more calls from the south side of town afterwards.
Murphy says a substance called Mercaptin was leaking at the store. It's added to natural gas so people know about a leak, although Murphy says no natural gas was released. He says the leak was fixed. Nobody was evacuated, and Murphy says there was no danger to the public.