Propane emergency assistance available

By: Sarah Moon Email
By: Sarah Moon Email

WESTBY, Wis. (WEAU) -- Couleecap, Incorporated in Westby wants to make sure people who use propane to heat their homes can stay warm.

The organization operates the Vernon County Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program also known as WHEAP, which helps people in need pay their heat and electric bills.

Energy services contract manager Sue Rahr said Couleecap has been getting around sixty calls a day about propane assistance.

“It’s a huge concern, because we deal with a lot of seniors, a lot of people on fixed income who do not have the dollars available to met the higher propane prices,” said Rahr.

You’re eligible if you have an annual income at or below 60% of the state’s median income guidelines, and have applied for WHEAP assistance.

However, you have to apply for assistance in the county where you live.

Rahr said people who apply before May 15 will get a benefit towards their heat and electric bills.

“If they apply after May 15, they can still get crisis assistance, but they don’t actually get a benefit towards their heat and electric,” said Rahr.

Couleecap also provides weatherization assistance to people living in La Crosse, Monroe, Vernon and Crawford Counties, if they have to leave their homes, because they’ve run of out propane or can’t afford to keep their home heated.

If you have questions, about who to call to apply for assistance, contact the statewide call center at 1-866-432-8947.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 243407761 -
Gray Television, Inc.