WEAU | Eau Claire, Wisconsin | News, Weather, & Sports

Secret investigation into Walker aides closes

By: AP Email
By: AP Email

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Some Wisconsin Democrats say evidence shows Republican Governor Scott Walker was involved in illegal campaigning when he was Milwaukee County executive. But that's not the way the county's district attorney sees it.

   John Chisholm announced Friday the investigation that started six months before Walker became governor has ended without any charges against Walker. Four former aides and a campaign donor have been convicted on charges ranging from theft to misconduct in office.

   Assembly minority leader Peter Barca says Walker should take responsibility for people he trusted, hired and supervised. And Democratic Party chairman Mike Tate says he hopes all documents related to the case are made public.

   A judge has ordered that documents gathered in the investigation remain under wraps.

   Walker says he's glad the investigation is over. He's always maintained he didn't know county workers were illegally campaigning on the job.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- A secret investigation into Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's former aides and associates has closed without any charges being filed against Walker.

Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm announced Friday that the so-called John Doe investigation ended last week. Six people have been charged with crimes stemming from the investigation that looked into activity in the Milwaukee County executive's office when Walker held that position.

Four former Walker aides as well as a campaign donor have been convicted on charges ranging from theft to misconduct in office.

Walker's spokesman Cullen Werwie had no comment on the investigation closing and referred calls to Walker's campaign. A spokeswoman there did not immediately return calls.

Walker has long maintained he did nothing wrong and predicted months ago the investigation was nearing an end.
---------------------------
Statement by Governor Walker on Closure of John Doe Proceeding

Madison, WI- Please see the following statement from Governor Scott Walker regarding the closure of the John Doe Investigation:

"I am glad the process has been completed. As many may remember, this entire matter began when we asked the District Attorney to look into concerns we had with respect to Operation Freedom. We appreciate the effort that was undertaken and to bring appropriate matters to justice."


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 194201531