WEAU | Eau Claire, Wisconsin | News, Weather, & Sports

NEW INFORMATION: Students evacuated after fire alarm goes off at UWEC


EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (UW-EAU CLAIRE NEWS RELEASE) — Residents of Katharine Thomas Hall at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire were evacuated to McIntyre Library at 4 a.m. Dec. 3 due to smoke caused by an equipment malfunction in the residence hall's elevator mechanical room.

The Eau Claire Fire Department and UW-Eau Claire personnel responded to the alarm, which was triggered by the smoke. The smoke was contained to the basement mechanical room and no injuries occurred, said Dr. Beth Hellwig, UW-Eau Claire's vice chancellor for student affairs.

The 139 students were allowed to return to their rooms within two hours of the evacuation, Hellwig said.

"Our housing staff implemented our emergency procedures plan and moved all the residents to the library commons area, where they could keep warm and had access to computers, bathrooms and vending machines," Hellwig said. "Live-in staff also were on site to provide support and assistance as needed."

The building's elevator is out of service while an elevator pump and contactor are being repaired, said Ben Corbett, Katharine Thomas Hall director.

"The students are safe and were not impacted by the incident, save for a faint odor from the smoke," Corbett said. "The fire doors and safety equipment performed their jobs wonderfully and kept the smoke confined to only a small portion of the building."

No estimated cost of damages is yet available, Corbett said.
--------------------------------------
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (WEAU)--Several students had to be evacuated after an equipment problem caused some smoke at a UW-Eau Claire dorm.

It happened just before four Tuesday morning in Katherine Thomas Hall. Eau Claire Fire and Rescue says when crews got there, they found smoke coming from the elevator room. The fire alarm went off and the University says139 students were moved to the McIntyre Library.

The fire chief says crews found a fluid leak from the elevator hydraulic system and says the hydraulic pump overheated, causing the smoke.

Crews cleared the scene around 5:30 a.m. and students were allowed back in around that time.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234268021