(WEAU) - A historic gateway on the UW-Eau Claire campus has been taken down because of construction.
The university says it's in the way of stream line construction on campus near Garfield Avenue. The gateway will be rebuilt on or near its current spot sometime in the next few years.
Parts of the current gateway like the dedication plaque and capstones will be used in the new structure.
UW-Eau Claire Press Release
EAU CLAIRE — On June 28, the historic gateway on Garfield Avenue at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will be dismantled due to steam line construction in progress on campus.
The gateway will be rebuilt on or near its current location in summer 2013 or 2014 after the planned reconstruction of Garfield Avenue. The gateway's original light fixture, dedication plaque and capstones will be used in rebuilding the structure.
The gateway, which originally consisted of a pair of curved brick walls flanking a sidewalk, was a gift from the classes of 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931 and 1932.One wall deteriorated to the point where it was removed in 1986. The remaining original gateway also deteriorated eventually and in 2006 was replaced with an identical replacement on the same foundation. Construction also included a low, bench-height wall on the opposite side of the sidewalk.
The 2006 gateway reconstruction was completed with support from the family of John D. Kell, a 1973 UW-Eau Claire alumnus who died in 2005. The gateway was dedicated as a memorial to Kell, a longtime UW-Eau Claire Foundation supporter who was president of Kell Container Corp. in Chippewa Falls at the time of his death.