NEW INFORMATION: Fire chief says house fire caused by magnifying glass


It took fire crews around 2 hours to fight the fire. The chief says he can't release details until Saturday evening.

LADYSMITH, Wis. (WEAU) -- Firefighters have determined a magnifying glass and some stray cardboard boxes caused a home to catch fire in Ladysmith on Friday.

Ladysmith Fire Chief Dave Tuma says the table-top magnifying glass, which was on a screened-in porch, caught the sun's rays starting some cardboard boxes on fire that were nearby.

He says four oxygen tanks, used for health reasons, were also on the porch and exploded.

Both a husband and wife were injured in the fire. Tuma says the husband, Bud Young, was released from the hospital on Saturday. He says the woman is in critical condition at Sacred Heart Hospital. Tuma was not able to confirm her name.

Tuma says the fire was accidental and the home is a total loss. He estimates damage to be about $60,000-$80,000.

He says crews were on scene fighting the fire for about 2 1/2 hours on Friday.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladysmith (WEAU) - Rescue crews took two people to the hospital after a house fire in Ladysmith Friday afternoon.

The fire chief told our crew on scene that he couldn't release more information, but says the fire call came in around 12:45 Friday afternoon at 211 Sabin Avenue West in Ladysmith.

The home is heavily damaged and there is some caution tape up as of Friday afternoon. Crews cleared the scene shortly after 3 p.m.

There's no word on a cause, who was hurt or the extent of their injuries. The fire chief says he hopes to release more information as of Saturday evening.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 217151161 - weau.com/a?a=217151161