Kathy Ertz says she and her husband Tom had just finished dinner Saturday night and were sitting on their deck when Tom was stung.
He died not long after.
She says her husband saw some nails sticking up from the deck so he got a hammer and was pounding them back in.
Little did he know, there was a wasp's nest under one of those nails.
Kathy Ertz says she and her husband Tom had a wonderful day on Saturday, visiting with their only daughter, her fiancé and their three-week-old baby.
But she says she never expected the day to end like it did.
"He walked into our living room and said, you know I don't really feel that good,” says Kathy.
She says a wasp stung Tom on the inside of his elbow, bringing him to his knees a few minutes later.
"By time I turned around from the bathroom he was on the ground, on the floor," she says.
Kathy says she called 9-1-1 right away, then sat and held her husband until the ambulance arrived.
"In my mind, as I was holding him, I could see that he was close to being gone, or gone,” Kathy says.
Doctors pronounced tom dead at 8:15 Saturday night.
Kathy says Tom was never allergic to wasps, saying he's been stung in their yard before.
"He's outside all the time. He's been stung by ground bees when he's mowing the grass.”
She says Tom was a quiet man who loved the outdoors, hunting, wood working and spending time with his three-week-old grandson.
Kathy says she and Tom were making retirement plans just next week.
She says they decided they would travel to every state park in the U.S.
Kathy says she plans to keep those traveling plans, in honor of Tom.