The family of a former North High School grad who died accidentally from prescription drug use remembers Kersten Greene.
The UW-River Falls freshman was found in her dorm room in April. A medical examiner's report says she died accidentally from improper use of prescription drugs.
Her family says she was full of life right up until her death.
Her older sister says Kersten used a lot of pain medications and muscle relaxers. But, she says the girl who was so strong would never have used too many of them on purpose.
"She was the sister everyone would love to have. Full of life, energy, adventure, just a go getter. There wasn't anything she wouldn't try," Kersten’s older sister Jocelyn Moyer remembered.
Jocelyn says her sister was the daredevil of the family. She was always up for anything.
"Big, big sports person. She played hockey since she was little," Jocelyn said.
Kersten was a 19-year-old freshman at UWRF who had been through a lot, including a car crash this past December.
"She broke some vertebrae in her neck, but got to come home for Christmas. She was on A.D.D. meds and she had Ambien to help her sleep and then she had muscle relaxers to help with the muscle pain and then the Oxy to help with the physical pain," Jocelyn explained.
But a combination of too many prescription drugs taken over time turned deadly. Kersten was found on April 7th, unresponsive in her dorm room.
"If somebody intends to overdose they'll take a large number of whatever kind of pill it was and that wasn't the case here. There were varying levels of several drugs and so perhaps if one of those would've been missing she would be fine," Sgt. Jon Aubart with the River Falls Police Department said.
Her death was ruled accidental by the Pierce County Medical Examiner caused by the accumulation of prescription drug abuse.
"Just the accumulation of several just caused her system to shut down. She didn’t intend to harm herself,” Sgt. Aubart said.
"I think if she would've known what could happen or what was going to happen she wouldn't have. We loved her and we're gonna miss her," Jocelyn said.
Sgt. Aubart says there was no alcohol in Kersten's system when she died.