Lightning strike sparks fire at Lake Hallie home

By: Jenny You Email
By: Jenny You Email

Firefighters say it appears lightning sparked a house fire in the Village of Lake Hallie on Father's Day morning.

The Chippewa Falls Fire District says 33 firefighters were called to a home at 4567 132nd St. just before 6 a.m. Sunday. When they arrived, heavy fire was coming from the roof and attic of the two-story home.

The owner of the home said he heard a loud crack of thunder at 2:30 a.m. He checked the house but found nothing wrong and went back to sleep. About three hours later, he said he woke up to the sound of what he described as rain hitting the drywall. He got up and checked the bathroom area to find an orange glow coming through a bathroom light fixture. His family got out of the home safely.

Firefighters say there were no smoke alarms in the attic to alert the family. Crews were able to confine the fire to the attic and the fire was under control by 7 a.m.

The Chippewa Fire District was assisted by the Chippewa Falls Police Department and Lake Hallie Police Department for traffic control. Also responding was the Chippewa Falls Fire and Emergency Services Department with an Engine and 3 firefighters. The Chippewa Fire District responded 11 vehicles and 33 firefighters to the call.

The cause of the fire appears to be a lightning strike to the house and there is currently no damage estimate available.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 263219361 -
Gray Television, Inc.