(WEAU) - Power was knocked out to an Eau Claire hospital as crews tried to figure out why a manhole was smoking.
Crews had to shut down a frontage road off Clairemont Friday night. It happened just after 7 p.m. Friday night between Stein Road and Craig road.
Firefighters were called to smoke coming from a manhole and when they got there they found the lid blown open. Xcel says an underground cable went bad, knocking out power to 166 customers including Sacred Heart Hospital.
Firefighters and Xcel say when the underground lines go bad they can smoke and create enough energy to pop up manhole covers. The stop lights along Clairemont were also out or flashing.
The power outage lasted a little less than an hour.