Teen drivers get car control experience

(WEAU) - Experts say teenagers 16 to 19 are four times more likely to get in a car accident than adult drivers.

That's why CVTC and the Mayo Clinic Health System teamed up today to give licensed teens a car control class.

24 teens received class room instruction on the rules of the road as well as were coached behind the wheel.

They were tested on what to do during real life situations like hydroplaning and skidding.
Instructors and drivers felt the day was beneficial.

"I think its important because I'm going to be out on the roads and I don't know what other people are going to be doing and so in order for me to react responsibly and accurately I need to know how to react," said teen driver Tanner Macgruder who lives in Altoona.

The classroom also touched on how teens with a probationary license can no longer use cell phones while driving in Wisconsin.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

The comment sections of our web set are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from the viewers but we are not obligated to post comments we feel inappropriate or violate our guidelines. Here are some of the criteria you should follow when posting comments:

Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. Children and families visit this site. We will delete comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.

We will delete all comments using hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our web site.

Comments should not attack other readers personally.

We will delete comments we deem offensive, in bad taste, or out of bounds. We are not obligated to post comments that are rude or insensitive.

We do not edit user-submitted comments.

As a host WEAU 13 News welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However, we have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason WEAU 13 News reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
  • by CVSCC Location: Eau Claire on Apr 23, 2012 at 07:24 PM
    Please check out http://www.cvscc.org/teen-car-control-class.html for more information about the class. It also includes a link to the Mayo Health System website so you can register.
  • by Jane Location: Eau Claire on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    My daughter participated in this class on Saturday. It was a great experience for her and will help her handle a vehicle properly during difficult driving situations. For those who would like to know more about this class you should call either CVTC or Mayo Health Systems for information. It is well worth it.
  • by ECCommonSense Location: EC on Apr 23, 2012 at 03:04 AM
    Mayo offers this class twice yearly I believe, in the Sprind and Fall. My daughter took it last fall and said it increased her confidence driving. She initially thought it would be a waste of time, but afterwords all she could do was talk about everthing she learned. She learned things in the class that I didn't even know about and I have been driving for 26 years. I would highly recommend it.
  • by pjll on Apr 22, 2012 at 08:06 AM
    Again-why do we have these events with no prior publicity. The public reads about the event AFTER it has taken place. Most of these events would be interesting and useful. Do we have to wait another year for the next one or will this event be monthly? Would be nice to know. Just saying.
  • by josh on Apr 22, 2012 at 06:11 AM
    There's a ton of adults that could use this experience! Heck they could use a drivers ed refresher course too!
  • by Scott Location: West coast on Apr 21, 2012 at 08:30 PM
    It's about time someone did this ! When I taught my kids how to drive I took them to a snow covered empty parking lot to let them experiance vechile control.
      by Joe on Apr 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM in reply to Scott
      What is a vechile and how do you experiance it?
  • by Anon Location: WI on Apr 21, 2012 at 03:09 PM
    Why don't they always have classes like these? I've had my license for over two years but I would still like to get the chance at driving like this
WEAU 13 NEWS 1907 S. Hastings Way Eau Claire, WI 54701 By Phone: Main Number (715) 835-1313 and (715) 832-3474. Tip Line (715) 839-WEAU - (715) 839-9328 Sports Line (715) 852-1537
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 148394805 - weau.com/a?a=148394805
Gray Television, Inc.