Several dogs, cats killed in Ladysmith house fire Wednesday night

The Ladysmith Fire Department said damage to the home was extensive.
PETS DIE IN HOUSE FIRE
Published: Dec. 8, 2022 at 1:24 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LADYSMITH, Wis. (WEAU) - Several dogs and cats were killed in a house fire in Ladysmith Wednesday night.

In a release, the Ladysmith Fire Department said that they were called to the fire at 11:10 p.m. Wednesday on the 600 block of West Second Street South in Ladysmith. Smoke and fire were visible from the back of the home as crews arrived. The home’s only resident could not find her way out of the home, but was safely evacuated by Ladysmith Police Officer Jake Schmidt and taken to the hospital. Ladysmith Fire Chief Kyle Gibbs did not know if the woman was hurt.

The fire’s cause has not yet been determined as of Thursday afternoon.

The Fire Department said that fighting the fire was difficult due to the freezing temperatures, and damage to the home was extensive. Crews worked until 4:45 a.m. Thursday. The Bruce Fire Department, Xcel Energy, and Ladysmith EMS also assisted at the scene.

ReadyWisconsin provides tips on preventing house fires and what to do in the event of a fire in your residence.

  • Install smoke alarms
  • Make an escape plan
  • Properly store or dispose of flammable items
  • Be careful when using alternative heating sources
  • Have the electrical wiring in your residence checked by an electrician
  • Sleep with your door closed
  • Install fire extinguishers in your residence and teach family members how to use them
  • Consider installing an automatic fire sprinkler system in your residence
  • Ask your local fire department to inspect your residence for fire safety and prevention
  • Never leave lit candles unattended. Consider using flameless battery-operated candles instead

To escape a fire, you should:

  • Check closed doors for heat before you open them. If you are escaping through a closed door, use the back of your hand to feel the top of the door, the doorknob, and the crack between the door and door frame before you open it. Never use the palm of your hand or fingers to test for heat – burning those areas could impair your ability to escape a fire (i.e., ladders and crawling)
  • Crawl low under any smoke to your exit – heavy smoke and poisonous gases collect first along the ceiling
  • Close doors behind you as you escape to delay the spread of the fire
  • Stay out once you are safely out and do not reenter
  • Call 9-1-1
  • If your clothes catch on fire, you should stop, drop, and roll – until the fire is extinguished

For more tips and safety information, you can visit the ReadyWisconsin website.