The Dietary Aide assists with meal preparation, dining room assistance, dish washing and cleaning of the kitchen. Assists in the kitchen area prior to, during, and after meals are served to patients, staff and visitors. Assists in maintaining the kitchen work areas, and keep equipment, utensils and serving areas clean and orderly. The Dietary Aide may complete some or all of the following accountabilities:
• Assists cooks with meal preparation, as directed.
• Takes food orders via telephone and fax.
• Washes hands before handling food to be served, before touching clean dishes and utensils, and after touching anything soiled.
• Carries out certain duties routinely without direction such as wrapping silverware and filling condiment containers in the dining rooms.
• Operates dish machine to wash dishes, glasses, cups, trays and silverware.
• Washes pots, pans and processing equipment.
• Maintains daily cleaning tasks and makes sure they are completed to regulations of state and federal agencies. Cleans dish machine and dish room area.
• Cleans and sanitizes food delivery equipment.
• Completes final clean-up of pot and pan area, cleaning floor, floor mats and drains. Makes sure all sinks are cleaned out and counter tops are cleaned.
• Helps prepare, portion, wrap, cover, and refrigerate food for meal(s) assigned; for example: bags bread, dips/jelly/fruit/desserts, makes toast, pours juice and milk, makes coffee/tea, etc.
• Sets up trays and serving carts according to established procedures, delivers to unit(s), and notifies Nursing staff. Helps clear trays from rooms and scrapes waste into trash cans.
• Uses food preparation equipment properly, cleans and stores appropriately, and reports repairs if needed.
• Helps keep kitchen floor dry, wiping or mopping up spills immediately.
• Helps stock supply shelves in storage area and may help check in deliveries.
• Attends mandatory inservice education meetings and applies information to job tasks.
• Reports any evidence of pests or rodents in kitchen area to Dietary Manager.
• Maintains exemplary customer service principles for efficient food preparation and delivery.
• Assures personal compliance to all state and federal regulations including blood borne pathogens, infection control, use of hazardous materials, and fire safety.
• Assures personal compliance to patient’s rights.
• Complies with schedule established by the Dietary Manager.
• Completes all other tasks and related duties as assigned.
• No prior food service experience needed.
• Ability to read, write, perform basic counting duties, and understand directions.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills.
• Presents a positive attitude and a spirit of teamwork at all times while working in the department.