Full Time Bookkeeper:
Maintains complete and accurate financial and statistical records for Citizens Telephone, dba Citizens Connected, its subsidiaries and affiliates. Responsible for maintaining accounting records in accordance with established guidelines and procedures.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• The accountant is responsible for the preparation, care, and maintenance of the accounting functions of the company. These may include revenue and expense records, especially accounts payable and accounts receivable, general and special cash account activity, long-term debt, preparation of reports, operating and construction budget control, inventory, and continuing property records and reports.
• Maintaining general and subsidiary ledgers by entering various transaction information, preparing journal entries, reconciling general ledger accounts and allocating revenues and expenses among accounts and budgets.
Other duties may include:
• Reviewing journal entries for appropriateness and clarity and making changes as deemed necessary.
• Preparing and posting pertinent information and charges to work orders.
• Preparing, analyzing and reviewing various operating and financial statements to ensure accuracy and conformity with established accounting classifications and reviewing significant variances.
• Preparing or assisting with various reports for RUS, NECA, FCC, PSC, Dept. of Revenue, auditors, consultants, etc. Preparing for year-end audit of assigned companies. Maintaining and updating spreadsheets for intercompany rent allocations and leases, etc.
• Reviewing monthly the reconciliation of bank statements and related documents.
• Maintaining continuing property records of all telephone plant in accordance with the Uniform System of Accounts and verifying that related documents are accurate and up-to-date.
• Preparing reports as requested for Board of Directors, regulatory agencies, taxing authorities, General Manager, industrial agencies, management team, etc.
• Determining and reviewing account classification of invoices and forwarding to Accounts Payable.
• Preparing work order records and distributing to proper plant accounts along with applicable overhead charges and prepare work order summary reports
• Reviewing tabulation of interest payments and verifying loan account statements from RUS.
• Verifying accuracy of property tax statements including local assessments, rates, valuations, etc.
• Work with Accounting Manager to prepare financial statements as necessary. Develop and track product costs and profitability reports.
• Prepare product pricing and forecast models.
• Analysis monthly actual to budget variances and prepare report detailing significant variances.
• Develop procedures to increase automation of accounting functions to reduce manual, recurring and duplicate entries.
• Develop and maintain monthly departmental financial reports.
• Completing other tasks as assigned by Accounting Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must have strong computer skills with a working knowledge of Excel and Word and have the ability to learn new programs quickly.
• Ability to work in a teamwork environment is a MUST.
• Must understand principles of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles.
• Detailed knowledge and experience of accounting, statistical and financial reporting.
• Familiarity with telephone utility accounting is desirable but not essential.
• Tax knowledge helpful.
Any combination equivalent to the following education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
Accounting degree or other Business degree. Telecommunications or Cooperative experience a plus.
For a more detailed job description and application process, please go to careers at: citizens-connected.com.