BLACK RIVER FALLS, Wis. (WEAU)— Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist, Ruth Chipps, shares a Harvest of the Month recipe.
RECIPE: WHITE BEAN, SPINACH & TOMATO JUMBLE
Plant-based (Mediterranean-style) eating is recommended to promote health and prevent disease. Dried beans and legumes are key components in menu planning. This simple recipe kicks up the flavor and is bursting with color. Eat the rainbow!
3 slices bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces optional)
1 medium onion, halved, thinly sliced
1, 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (2 c.)
1, 15 oz. can Cannellini or navy beans, rinsed and drained (2 c.)
4 cups loosely packed torn spinach
5 teaspoons Balsamic or red wine vinegar
1. In a large fry pan, cook bacon pieces until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain. Leave bacon grease in pan.
2. Add onions to bacon grease in the fry pan; cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in beans and tomatoes. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated.
4. Stir in spinach; cover and cook until just wilted, about 30 seconds.
5. Add vinegar. Stir in cooked bacon.
Makes 5 servings
Approx. nutrition information per 1 c. Serving. 190 Calories, 7g Fat, 21g Carb., 6g Fiber, 12g Protein