Harvest of the Month-Lettuce
May is the time when local gardens are getting warm and starting to sprout and one of the quickest and easiest items to grow is lettuce.
In today's Harvest of the Month, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Ruth Chipps with Jackson In Action healthy living coalition, shares a simple recipe for tossed fresh garden lettuce.
Citrus Dressing with Fruit & Greens
Ingredients (Serves 4):
• 1/4 cup grapefruit juice or orange juice
• 3 tablespoons vinegar
• 1 Tbsp. mustard (Dijon or other)
• 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar (optional)
• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
• Salt & Pepper (pinch of each)
• 8 cups greens (romaine, lettuce, spinach, or other)
• 2 cups vegetables, chopped (broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, peppers, onions, or tomato)
• 1-2 cups fruit, chopped (grapefruit, apples, berries, grapes, or oranges)
Method: Combine dressing ingredients in a container with a screw top or whisk with a fork. Close tightly and shake until combined. Store in refrigerator until ready to use (up to 1 week). For each salad, top 2 cups of greens with 1/2 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup fruit. Take dressing from the refrigerator and shake hard to combine ingredients again. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing onto each salad.
Tips: Use any fruit juice you want. Leave out the sugar with sweeter juices such as pomegranate or clementine. This salad dressing will be thinner than store bought salad dressing.
Nutrition Facts - servings per recipe / Serving Size: 3 cups salad with 2 Tablespoons dressing. Approx. 160 Calories,7g Fat, 21g Carb., 5g fiber, 3g Protein
NEXT MONTH – ASPARAGUS