Healthy Halloween Treats - Oct.12th
Pumpkin and apple are definitely the flavors of the fall season. On Hello Wisconsin, Nutrition Educator Kristin Johnson of Mayo Clinic Health System joined the show to discuss festive fall-themed recipes, including one Halloween treat – one we think little goblins are sure to enjoy.
• Chitter Chatter Marshmallow Teeth - Apples with peanut butter contain essential vitamins and minerals from apples, protein from the peanut butter, a few marshmallows are a special treat (recipe below)
• Pumpkin Chia Coconut Granola (recipe below) – Nice topping to a bowl of yogurt. Chia and oats contain fiber and carbohydrates to fuel you for the day and pumpkin seeds with Vitamin E and antioxidants.
• Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats (recipe below) – Quick and easy breakfast. A great combination of carbohydrates, fat and protein.
What types of supplies are needed?
• Chitter Chatter Marshmallow Teeth – Apples, mini marshmallows, peanut butter (apple slicer, small paring knife, serving plate)
• Pumpkin Chia Coconut Granola – Oats, chia seeds, pumpkin pie spice, butter, maple syrup, pumpkin puree, pumpkin seeds, dry coconut (Bowl, skillet, large cooking sheet)
• Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats – Old-fashioned rolled oats, pumpkin puree, almond milk, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, pecans (Glass jar)
Show us how to make these sweet treats? (Katie will demonstrate or show ‘phases’)
• Chitter Chatter Marshmallow Teeth
• Pumpkin Chia Coconut Granola
• Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
Chitter Chatter Marshmallow Teeth
1 bag Mini Marshmallows
Small paring knife
1. Slice apples with apple slicer
2. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter onto one side of each apple slice.
3. Place 4-6 marshmallows in between 2 apple slices, using the peanut butter as “glue” to hold them together. Serve on a platter.
5 Minute Pumpkin Chia Coconut Granola – SuperHealthyKids.com
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
1. First, we combine our dry ingredients; 1 cup oats, 1 teaspoon chia seeds, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
2. Second, in a skillet on medium hear combine: 2 teaspoons butter, 2 teaspoons maple syrup, 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree. Warm this up until it is melted. Then, add the dry ingredients to get toasted on in the skillet. Stirring occasionally and cook until golden brown and appearing to toast
3. Once toasted, pour the final product onto a large cooking sheet and spread it out to let it finish getting crunchy.
4. Once cooled, add in pumpkin seeds and coconut.
Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats
1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free, if needed)
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon maple syrup
Toppings: pecans, maple syrup
Combine all in a glass jar. Seal lid tightly and store in the refrigerator for 8 hours.
On Hello Wisconsin, Nutrition Educator Kristin Johnson of Mayo Clinic Health System joined the show to discuss festive fall-themed recipes, including one Halloween treat – one we think little goblins are sure to enjoy.