TODAY INTERVIEW: Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Recipes
Butternut Squash Risotto
You will need: large pot, roasting pan, knife, cutting board, cheese grater, medium saute pan
½ cup brown sushi rice
1 small butternut squash
1 cup onion
1 cup zucchini
5 each crimini mushrooms
1 tablespoon fresh sage
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
½ cup Asiago cheese
½ cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 cup white wine
1 tablespoon heavy cream
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Gather ingredients and heat oven to 400 F. Partially cook rice according to package instructions, about 40 minutes, and set aside. Place whole squash on the roasting pan with a half inch of water on the bottom. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven to test if a knife can go through easily. Set aside and let cool.
2. Dice onion. Chop zucchini, mushrooms into even size pieces. Finely chop thyme and sage. Shred the cheese. Once squash has cooled, peel away the skin and cut into chunks. Shred cheese. Measure out frozen peas and set aside.
3. Heat a medium saute pan to medium high heat. Add olive oil and diced onions; saute until soft. Add par-cooked rice and saute rice and onions for about 2 minutes, continuously stirring. Pour in ½ cup of the chicken stock and stir continuously. Once stock gets absorbed in the rice, add ½ cup of the white wine. Continue this same process until the last ½ cup of chicken stock is left.
4. Add squash, zucchini, mushrooms, sage, thyme and peas to the rice. Once vegetables soften, add the last ½ cup of chicken stock. As chicken stock gets absorbed into rice, add the cheese, cream, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed.
Seared Herb Chicken
You will need: plastic wrap, kitchen mallet, knife, cutting board, medium bowl, non-stick saute pan, tongs, meat thermometer
4 (4 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Place chicken breasts on top of plastic wrap and fold plastic wrap over the top. Using a kitchen mallet, pound chicken breasts to about 1/4-inch thickness.
2. Finely chop the thyme and rosemary. Place into a medium bowl along with the salt and black pepper. Dredge each pounded chicken breast into the seasoning mixture until evenly coated.
3. Heat a non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to the pan and spread around evenly. Once the oil is hot, place the chicken breasts in saute pan and sear for 4 minutes. Flip the breasts over and sear for another 2 minutes, then check the temperature of one breast. Continue searing until the chicken breasts reach 165 F and remove from heat.
APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP
6 cups Granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
2 cups Cranberries, fresh or frozen
2/3 cup Sugar
3 tablespoons Flour
½ teaspoon Cinnamon
4 tablespoons Unsalted butter
¾ cup Flour
1 cup Rolled oats
½ cup Flax, ground
1/3 cup Brown sugar
½ teaspoon Cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place apples, cranberries, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl and toss until evenly coated.
3. Lightly grease baking pan 9 x13 and spread apple cranberry mixture on the bottom.
4. Mix softened butter, flour, oats, flax seed, brown sugar and cinnamon in bowl until butter is incorporated into flour mixture and turned into crumbles.
5. Place crumble mixture over apples.
6. Place in oven for 35-40 minutes.