Dunn Co. health officials warn of blue-green algae after report of illness
The Dunn County Health Department says it’s received its first report of a person becoming ill after being exposed to a harmful algae bloom at an area lake.
Health officials say blue-green algae are bacteria often referred to as "pond scum". They say the toxins produced from the bloom can be dangerous to humans and pets.
Symptoms include: difficulty breathing, headache, fever, vomiting and more. Symptoms can show up minutes to hours after exposure.