UPDATE: Grandfather: Suspect 'backed off from crowds'

Published: Jan. 14, 2019 at 4:53 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The grandfather of a 21-year-old Wisconsin man accused of kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents during a home invasion says his grandson was "quiet and shy."

Jim Moyer told national news on Tuesday that his grandson, Jake Thomas Patterson, is a "nice boy, polite" who often "backed off from crowds."

Moyer says "Computer games were more of a priority than social interaction" for Patterson. The grandfather says Patterson's family is "absolutely heartbroken."

Patterson was charged Monday with two counts of intentional homicide, one count of kidnapping and one count of armed burglary. Prosecutors say more charges could come later.

BARRON, Wis. (WEAU) -- Authorities are deciding what to do with a $50,000 reward for information about 13-year-old Jayme Closs.

Milwaukee FBI spokesman Leonard Peace said Tuesday that the reward remains under review. Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald says the reward is being discussed with the FBI and will be determined later.

The FBI offered a $25,000 reward on Oct. 24 for information about Jayme's whereabouts. The Jennie-O Turkey Store, where James and Denise Closs worked, later doubled the amount to $50,000.

Jayme was discovered Thursday by a woman walking her dog near the small northwestern Wisconsin town of Gordon, 60 miles (100 kilometers) away from her hometown of Barron. The woman, Jeanne Nutter, took Jayme to the home of Peter and Kristin Kasinskas, who called 911.

Peter Kasinskas told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the couple does not want the reward. He says if anyone gets it, Jayme should because "She got herself out."

Authorities arrested and charged a 21-year-old man in her abduction and her parents' deaths.

BARRON, Wis. (WEAU) -- The 911 call from the people Jayme Closs went up to after she escaped from her kidnapper has been released.

To listen to the call, watch the video above.

District Attorney's Office holds press conference

Immediately following Jake Patterson's initial appearance the Barron County district attorney held a news conference.

In his opening statement Brian Wright emphasized that Patterson is innocent until proven guilty however he said his prosecution team will work hard to make sure justice is served for James, Denise and Jayme Closs.

The Douglas County district attorney was also present during the press conference. D.A. Mark Fruehauf said the office is reviewing whether additional charges will be filed against Patterson in Douglas. Wright did say there will be no other charges filed in Barron County.

At this point Wright says there have been no motions filed for mental health testing for Patterson. When questioned about Patterson’s seemingly random actions in choosing Jayme as a target Wright said more information will come out during the court proceedings.

He went on to commend Jayme for her bravery and reiterate that he will seek justice for the Closs family.

Wright said, “It's extremely important because we are seeking justice. We have two parents of a 13 year old who are deceased. we had a 13-year-old who was abducted for 88 days against her will, forcibly, it doesn't get more serious than that and I assure you all of these prosecutors here, all of us, want to get justice for James and Denise as well as for Jayme.”

Wright said at this point he has every confidence the case will go to trial however he said it remains to be seen whether or not Jayme would take the stand to testify.

“She's 13-years-old and if you read the criminal complaint you can see the amount of control he was exerting over her and at some point she found it within herself at 13-years-old to say, ‘I'm going to get myself out of this situation.’ It's just incredible,” added Wright.

WEAU did try and reach out to Patterson’s attorney for comment but the defense was unavailable after his court appearance.

Judge issues $5 million cash bond for man accused in Closs case

BARRON, Wis. (WEAU) -- The man accused of killing two people and kidnapping a 13-year-old girl in Barron County made his initial appearance in court.

Jake Patterson appeared in Barron County Court Monday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. He appeared through video monitoring from the jail.

A Barron County Judge issued Jake Patterson a $5 million cash bond.

Patterson is accused of shooting and killing James and Denise Closs in their home on October 15 and kidnapping their 13-year-old daughter, Jayme Closs. Jayme was able to escape Patterson and find help last week.

WEAU 13 News will be at the courthouse for Jake Patterson's initial appearance. To watch the appearance live when it airs (around 3:30 p.m. central time), click here. We will also be covering a press conference that will be held by the Barron County District Attorney's Office, right after Patterson's hearing.

Authorities have reopened the neighborhood where Jayme Closs was found.

GORDON, Wis. (KARE 11) -- Authorities have reopened the neighborhood where Jayme Closs was found.

The Barron County Sheriff's Office said the suspect, 21-year-old Jake Patterson, wasn't at home when Jayme escaped Thursday afternoon.

Our affiliate, KARE 11, says on Sunday, the barricades had been removed leading into the Eau Claire Acres development near Gordon, Wisconsin and the public was able to get a closer look at the property where Jayme was held captive. The property is a heavily wooded area and multiple cars with snow on them were seen scattered outside the home.

"Completely surprised when the whole thing went down. You don't even think about something like that," said John Kaarto, who has lived in the neighborhood for eight years.

Kaarto had been walking his dog, Bandit, on Thursday when he noticed the commotion in his neighborhood.

He lives just down the street from Peter and Kristin Kasinskas who helped rescue Jayme.

"He (Peter) came in... and asked if I knew what was going on. I said, 'Actually, I do' and we talked for awhile and he got pretty emotional," Kaarto recalled.

Jayme had approached Jeanne Nutter while she was out walking her dog and Nutter brought her to the Kasinskas' house.

"Of course Peter happened to be there. Had he not, he said, 'You were the next one,'" Kaarto said.

Kaarto said he did not know the Pattersons well.

Neighbor Daphne Ronning told NBC News that she knew Patterson since childhood and was surprised to hear about his arrest.

"When I heard the news I was extremely shocked to hear that Jake would do something like that cause he just seems like your average teen. You know, growing up there was nothing different than him than any other child in the neighborhood," Ronning said.

Kaarto said they usually don't see much traffic on their road during the winter.

"It's almost two miles around the loop here and in the two miles I think there's about 11 or 12 permanent residences and all the rest are seasonal places," he said.

Kaarto got emotional while talking about Jayme's escape, saying, "They found her alive. That's the thing. I don't know how you could be happier."

Complaint: Suspect hid Jayme Closs under bed

BARRON, Wis. (AP) -- A criminal complaint says a Wisconsin man hid 13-year-old Jayme Closs under a bed for hours at a time and warned her that "bad things could happen to her" if anyone found her there.

Jake Thomas Patterson is charged with kidnapping Jayme and killing her parents in an Oct. 15 attack at the family's home near Barron.

The criminal complaint filed Monday says Jayme was forced to go under a bed in Patterson's remote cabin and that he would stack totes, laundry bins and barbell weights around her so she couldn't move without him noticing. The complaint says Jayme was kept up to 12 hours at a time with no food, water or bathroom breaks.

The complaint says Jayme escaped Thursday after Patterson made her go under the bed and told her he was going to be gone five or six hours. It says she pushed the bins away, crawled out, put on a pair of his shoes and fled the house.


Complaint: Jayme Closs says saw suspect kill mom

BARRON, Wis. (AP) -- Thirteen-year-old Jayme Closs has told police she tried to hide from the man accused of killing her parents and kidnapping her, but that he dragged her out of her home and threw her in the trunk of his vehicle.

Prosecutors filed a criminal complaint Monday charging Jake Thomas Patterson with two counts of intentional homicide, kidnapping and burglary. Investigators believe Patterson broke into the Closs home near Barron, Wisconsin, in October, killed Jayme's parents and kidnapped her.

The complaint states that Jayme and her mother hid in the bathroom as Patterson came to the front door. They heard a gunshot and knew Patterson had killed her father.

Patterson then broke down the bathroom door, shot her mother and taped Jayme's hands and ankles. He then dragged her to his car and threw her in the trunk.

Full criminal complaint

Jake Patterson has been charged in Barron County Court with first-degree intentional homicide, kidnapping and armed burglary.

The following is the probable cause of the case as indicated in the criminal complaint.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Basis for this complaint is a statement by Jeff Nelson that he is a Detective with the Barron County Sheriff's Department and as such has access to all reports and complaints filed with his department. Complainant is informed by the reports of Deputy James Pressley, Deputy Jon Fick, Deputy Erik Sedani, Detective Mary Dexter and Detective Jason Hagen of the Barron County Sheriff's Department and Deputy Dittbrender, Deputy Carey and Sgt. Derosia with the Douglas County Sheriff‘s Department. Deputy James Pressley, with the Barron County Sheriff's Department. reports on October 15, 2018, at approximately 12:53 AM, he and other deputies were in the Barron County Dispatch Center when a 911 call came in. Deputy Pressley reports screaming could be heard in the background. Dispatch advised that the 911 call had originated from 1268 13 112 Avenue on US. Hwy. 8. west of the City of Barron. Deputy Pressley indicates in his report that the location of the 1288 13th Avenue address is approximately three miles from the Dispatch Center, which is located inside the Barron County Justice Center. Deputy Pressley reports that he. along with Deputy Erik Sedan and Deputy Jon Fick, responded to the dispatch arriving at the residence located at 1268 13 112 AvenueU.S. Hwy. 8. Barron County. Wisconsin, at approximately 1:00 AM. Deputy Fick reports that. while in route to the residence. he observed a vehicle that was maroon in color and what he believed to be an older style vehicle. Deputy Fick reports that based on his training and experience, the vehicle appeared to him to be an older Ford Taurus or similar vehicle. As the vehicle was traveling east on U.S. Hwy. 8 Deputy Fick reports he was traveling west on U.S. Hwy. 8. just west of the City of Barron. Deputy Fick reports the vehicle he observed was the lone eastbound traveling vehicle he encountered. Deputy Fick observed the vehicle yield to himself and other deputies responding to the scene. Deputy Fick reports he was unable to see a front license plate and observed a black bracket in the front middle of the bumper. Deputy Fick reports he observed grey or silver trim on the vehicle. Upon arrival, Deputy Pressley reports there were no outside Lights on at the residence and no screaming or signs of distress consistent with the 911 call coming from inside. Deputy Pressley reports he observed there was a light on in the residence in the upstairs northwest corner window. As he walked around the back of the residence, Deputy Pressley observed an upstairs light on the back side of the residence. Deputy Sedani reports he was advised by Deputy Pressley to go to the front door and attempt to make contact. Deputy Sedani reports he shined his flashlight towards the front door. Deputy Sedani had difficulty seeing through the glass storm door due to it having heavy condensation on it, but noticed that the wooden inside door was open. Deputy Sedani reports he shined his flashlight again to the door and noticed the glass door was partially open due to a rug being stuck between the door and door frame. When he looked inside the residence. Deputy Sedani saw legs on the floor. Deputy Sedani reports he opened the glass door and looked in and saw an adult male, who was later identified as James M. Closs, lying on the floor with his feet near the front door. Deputies observed that James was deceased. He had significant trauma to his face and head. There was blood and brain splattering on the west wall directly behind the wooden entrance door. Detective Jeff Nelson, with the Barron County Sheriff's Department, reports that based on his training and experience, the head and face trauma to James appeared to be that of a gunshot wound. Deputy Sedani reports that he and Deputy Pressley announced their presence and directed anybody inside to come out of the residence. Deputy Sedani reports no one came out of the residence and there was no sound of anybody inside the residence. Deputy Sedani observed a spent shotgun shell next to James‘ body that was on the floor and another spent shotgun shell in the hallway in front of the bathroom. Deputy Sedani reports that he. Deputy Pressley and Deputy Fick entered the residence. Partially in the bathroom and hallway, Deputy Sedani observed a shower curtain laying on the floor. As deputies moved further into the residence. Deputy Sedani observed an adult female with red hair, who was later identified as Denise J. Closs. sitting unresponsive in the shower. Deputies observed that Denise was deceased. She, too, had significant head trauma. Detective Nelson reports that. based on his training and experience, the head trauma to Denise also appeared to be that of a gunshot wound to the head with the rear backside of her head and skull plate being completely removed and lying next to her body in the bathtub. Deputies searched the remainder of the house and located no one else inside. Deputy Pressley reports that, once the ambulance arrived. he escorted Mark Price. a paramedic with Mayo Clinic Medical Transport, into the residence. Deputy Pressley reports Mark visually examined James and Denise and confirmed the deputies observations that both of them were deceased and no life-saving measures were necessary. Detective Mary Dexter with the Barron County Sheriff's Department, reports that she was present for the autopsies of James and Denise. Detective Dexter reports the autopsies were performed by Dr. Veena Singh, at the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office located at 14341 Rhinestone Street NW, Ramsey, Minnesota. Detective Dexter reports she received and reviewed the final autopsy reports prepared by Dr. Singh. Dr. Singh determined the cause of death to James was a shotgun wound of the head and neck, and the manner of death was ruled a homicide. Dr. Singh determined the cause of death to Denise was a shotgun wound of the head, and the manner of death was ruled a homicide. Detective Nelson reports he entered the residence on October 15, 2018. at approximately 1:45 AM. Detective Nelson observed there were lights on in the main floor master bedroom in the northwest corner of the residence and the main floor bathroom of the residence Detective Nelson observed that James was lying on his back with his head partially under the kitchen table and chairs. James was lying in an east to west direction. Detective Nelson observed that James’ body was located in front of the wooden entry door and that James‘ legs obstructed the full opening of that door. Detective Nelson reports the wooden entry door had been forcibly entered. Detective Nelson observed that the decorative glass on the wooden entry door was shattered out and also noticed that. near the deadbolt locking mechanism on the door, there was heavy damage. Detective Nelson reports. on the basis of his training and experience. it appeared the door had been shot with a shotgun slug shell in the area of the deadbolt lock. Detective Nelson observed that Denise was seated in the bathtub on the main floor of the residence. Detective Nelson reports her head was lying against the lower bathtub. Detective Nelson observed a vinyl shower curtain and curtain rod lying on the bathroom floor and partially extending into the hallway. Detective Nelson reports the bathroom door swings inward into the bathroom. Detective Nelson observed that the top upper right hand cabinet drawer had been pulled out approximately six inches. Detective Nelson reports that based on his training and experience, it appeared Denise had attempted to barricade herself in the bathroom. Detective Nelson reports it was apparent the assailant had forcibly kicked or pushed or breached the door in some manner which had caused a rectangle style part of the door to break free from the door and fall into the open drawer. Detective Nelson reports the bathroom door itself then had been kicked or breached or forcibly manipulated in such a manner where it had basically split in two in a horizontal manner prior to being forcibly opened. Detective Nelson observed a cell phone lying with the screen side down on the floor near the door jam and hinge side of the bathroom door. Detective Jason Hagen, with the Barron County Sheriff's Department reports that evidence observed at the scene included a 12-gauge shotgun shell located on the ground outside the residence next to the concrete steps that access the front door where James was found. A second spent 12-gauge shotgun shell was located next to James' body. A third spent 12-gauge shotgun shell was located on the floor in the hallway directly in front of the bathroom on the main level where Denise's body was located. Detective Hagen reports there were some tread patterns visible in blood that was in the entry way just inside the main door of the home next to James' body. Detective Hagen reports the tread patterns appeared to be from tactical type boots. Detective Nelson reports that, as he and other officers were continuing their investigation of the inside of the residence. he received a phone call from Detective Dexter and Detective Carroll, who advised that James and Denise have a 13-year old daughter that also resided with them at the residence. She was identified as J.L.C. Detective Nelson reports throughout that morning a Wisconsin Crime Alert was issued as well as an Amber Alert regarding the abduction of J.L.C. Deputy Dittbrender‘ with the Douglas County Sheriff's Department. reports on January 10. 2019 at approximately 4:11 PM, she was dispatched along with Deputy Carey‘ with the Douglas County Sheriff's Department. to an address on Eau Claire Acres Circle. in the Town of Gordon, Douglas County. Wisconsin, for a report that J.L.C. was at the residence located at 14102 S. Eau Claire Acres Circle and needed help. While in route, Deputy Dittbrender reports the Douglas County Communications Center provided additional information obtained during the 911 call. The additional information provided included information that Jeanne Nutter, a neighbor of Peter and Kristen Kasinskas was currently at the Kasinskas residence with J.L.C. and that J.L.C. had stated a male subject. whom she identified as Jake Patterson had killed her parents and she wants to go home. Deputy Dittbrender reports that she and Deputy Carey. along with Sgt. Engelman, arrived at the Kasinskas residence on January 10, 2019 at approximately 4:43 PM. Deputy Dittbrender reports J.L.C. was wearing a pair of dirty, worn New Balance athletic shoes‘ that appeared to be men's shoes, with the left shoe on her right foot and the right shoe on her left foot. Out of a concern that Patterson might be in the area attempting to locate J‘L.C.‘ Deputy Carey reports the decision was made to immediately remove J.L.C‘ from the area for her safety. Deputy reports that Deputy Dittbrender drove J.L.C. away in her squad car with Sgt. Engelman following in his squad car. Deputy Carey and Sgt. DeRosia remained at the Kasinskas residence. Deputy Dittbrender reports that, as she was traveling along the western side of the loop of Eau Claire Acres Circle northbound to County Hwy. Y. she observed a vehicle approaching eastbound on Hwy. Y and then turn south onto Eau Claire Acres Circle as Deputy Dittbrender approached the intersection. Deputy Dittbrender observed the vehicle was red in color and possibly either a Kia or Ford as the vehicle passed her. Deputy Dittbrender reports she asked J.L.C. if that was Patterson's car and J.L.C. stated she didn't know. J.L.C. indicated that she thought his car was a Ford, and that he also had other cars. Deputy Dittbrender reports she notified Sgt. Engelman and Sgt. Derosia of the red car she had just passed. Sgt. Derosia reports that Sgt. Engleman ran the plate on the vehicle. Sgt. Derosia reports dispatch advised the vehicle was registered to a Katie Patterson, the last name matching the name of the male subject J.L.C. had identified. Sgt. Derosia reports he positioned his squad car in a way so he could observe the vehicle as it passed his location. Sgt. Derosia reports as the vehicle passed by him. he observed a lone male occupant driving the red colored vehicle. Sgt. Derosia reports he also observed the vehicle's drivers side rear taillight was broken, as well as no functioning rear license plate light. Sgt. Derosia reports he pulled out and followed behind the vehicle while waiting for another squad. As he was following the vehicle, Sgt. Derosia observed that it passed the driveway of the address that was listed for that vehicle at 14166 S. Eau Claire Acres Circle. in the Town of Gordon, Douglas County, Wisconsin. Sgt. Derosia reports he conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle just as it passed the driveway. Sgt. Derosia reports he approached the driver's side door while Sgt. Engieman approached on the passenger side. Sgt. Derosia reports the driver and lone occupant in the vehicle was instructed to raise his hands in the air. Sgt. Derosia reports he then instructed the driver to open his door. Once the door was opened. Sgt. Derosia asked the driver what his name was. The driver informed Sgt. Derosia that his name is Jake Patterson. Sgt. Derosia reports he instructed Patterson to step out of the vehicle and. as he did. Patterson stated I know what this is about “I did it". Deputy Carey reports he interviewed Jeanne. Jeanne stated that she went for a walk around Eau Claire Acres Circle around 3:30 PM. She estimated the walk took around 40 minutes. When she returned to her driveway, she saw a young girl in the road. Jeanne stated the girl yelled and begged for help. Jeanne stated she remembered the girl specifically say, "I’m Jayme Closs." "I don't know where I am," “He killed my parents." and ”Please help — I want to go home." Jeanne estimated it was around 4:10 PM when she came upon J.L.C. Jeanne stated she made the decision to go to the Kasinskas residence because, though she did not know Patterson, she recognized his name from a mailbox and knew that his cabin was only two driveways west from her piece. Jeanne described J.L.C. as being in shock, tired, with matted hair and messy clothes. Jeanne observed that J.L.C, was wearing large men‘s shoes on her feet and could barely walk in them. Detective Hagen reports on January 11. 2019 at approximately 9:15 AM. he observed a live viewing of the interview of J.L.C. Bonnie Fries. a Child Adolescent Forensic Interviewer with the FBI interviewed J.L.C. Detective Hagen reports the interview was audio and video recorded. On the night J.L.C. was abducted, J.L.C. stated she was asleep in her bedroom when her dog started barking early in the morning. J.L.C. stated she got up to investigate why her dog was barking and noticed there was someone driving up their driveway. J.L.C. stated she went to her parents' room and woke them up. J.L.C. stated her parents got up and her father went to the door to see what was going on. J.L.C. stated there was a man at the door with a gun so she and her mother hid in the bathroom with the door closed. J.L.C stated that she and her mother hid in the bathtub. J.L.C. stated she heard a gunshot and knew her father had just been killed. J.L.C. stated her mother had her cell phone with her and used the phone to call 911. J.L.C. stated Patterson broke down the bathroom door and told her mother to hang up the phone. J.L.C. stated Patterson told her mother to put tape over J.L.C.'s mouth. which her mother did, and then Patterson shot her mother. J.L.C. stated both her mother and father were shot one time. J.L.C. stated the first time she saw Patterson was in the bathroom where she and her mother were hiding. J.L.C. stated Patterson was dressed in black from head to toe, including a face mask, hat, and gloves. J.L.C. stated that Patterson taped her hands and ankles together and dragged her out to his car. J.L.C. described the tape as being black in color. J.L.C. stated Patterson taped her hands such that her hands were behind her back. When they got to Patterson's car, J.L.C. stated Patterson placed her in the trunk. J.L.C. described Patterson's car as an older red 4- door car. After Patterson put her in the trunk, J.L.C. stated he drove away. J.L.C. stated she heard the sirens of two squad cars drive by a very short time after Patterson began driving. J.L.C. stated she thought she was in the trunk of the car for about two hours before they arrived at the house where Patterson took her to. J.L.C. stated Patterson later told her it was his house. J.L.C. stated she observed Patterson to be wearing the same clothing he had on when he shot her parents, when he removed her out of the trunk at the house he had taken her to. When they got to the house, J.L.C. stated Patterson took her to a hallway and made her sit down and stay there. J.L.C. stated he then removed the tape from her mouth, hands, and ankles. After that J.L.C. stated Patterson told her to go into his bedroom and take off all of her clothes. J.L.C. stated that. after she disrobed. Patterson put her clothes in a bag: J.L.C. stated Patterson made a comment about not having evidence. J.L.C. stated Patterson told her he was going to throw her clothes away but she didn't see what he actually did with them after that. J.L.C. stated that sometimes Patterson would have friends and or relatives over. J.L.C. stated that Patterson made it clear that nobody was to know she was there or had things would happen to her. In order to hide the fact that J.L.C. was there. Patterson made J.L.C. hide under his bed in his bedroom. J.L.C. stated Patterson‘s bed was in one corner of his bedroom. When he made her hide under his bed. J.L.C. stated he stacked totes and laundry bins around the bed with weights (like weights for barbells) stacked against them so she could not move them without his being able to detect it if she did. One time, J.L.C. stated she accidentally moved one of the totes when she was told to hide under the bed and Patterson told her something bad would happen if she did it again. J.L.C. stated Patterson would turn music on in his room so she couldn't hear what was happening if there was anyone else in the house with him. J.L.C. stated Patterson would also make her stay under the bed when he left the house. J.L.C. stated Patterson would make her stay under the bed for up to twelve hours at a time with no food, water, or bathroom breaks. J.L.C. described how, on one occasion, Patterson got mad at her and hit her “really hard" on her back with what she described as a handle for something used to clean blinds and that it hurt really bad when Patterson hit her with it. J.L.C. stated she did not specifically remember what she did to make him mad on that occasion but she remembers Patterson telling her that if it happened again the punishment would be worse next time. On January 10, 2019. J.L.C. stated Patterson left his house and told her he was going to be gone for five or six hours. J.L.C. stated Patterson made her go under the bed before he left. After Patterson left the house, J.L.C. stated she was able to push the bins and weights away from the bed and crawl out. J.L.C. stated she put on a pair of Patterson's shoes, walked out of the house, and walked towards the road to a woman (Jeanne Nutter) who she saw walking a dog. J.L.C. stated she told Jeanne who she is and that Jake Patterson kidnapped her. J.L.C. stated Jeanne then took her to the closest house where they called 911. Detective Nelson reports on January 10, 2019 at approximately 7:15 PM he along with Special Agent Joe Welsch. with the Wisconsin DOJ/DCI. conducted a custodial interview of the defendant Jake T. Patterson whose date of birth is June 17. 1997. Detective Nelson reports he read the defendant his Miranda rights. The defendant stated he understood his rights and was willing to speak with Detective Nelson and Special Agent Welsch. Detective Nelson reports the defendant confessed to killing James and Denise Closs. and kidnapping J.L.C. The defendant stated he worked at Saputo Cheese Factory, south of Almena, for two days before quitting On his drive to the cheese factory on one of the two mornings he worked there he had stopped behind a school bus on U.S. Hwy. 8 where he watched J.L.C. get on a school bus. The defendant stated he had no idea who she was nor did he know who lived at the house or how many people lived at the house. The defendant stated. when he saw J.L.C.. he knew that was the girl he was going to take. The defendant stated, on what he thought to be his second and last day of employment at Saputo Cheese he purchased a black colored balaclava type mask from Walmart, in Rice Lake. The defendant stated he purchased the mask as part of his plan to conceal his identity when he took J.L.C. The defendant stated he drove to the Closs home twice with the intent to kidnap J.L.C. prior to October 15, 2018. The defendant stated that. several days after quitting Seputo Cheese, and about one week to one and one-half weeks before he went through with his plan to kidnap J.L.C.. he drove to the Closs home but there were all kinds of cars in the driveway and it scared him off. The defendant stated on another night maybe a day or two later, he again drove to the Closs home and noticed the lights were on in the house and people were walking around in the house so he decided not to do it then. The defendant stated he put quite a bit of thought into the details of how he was going to abduct J.L.C. On one of the nights, prior to his third trip to the Closs home on October 15, the defendant stated he drove a few miles down the road on County Hwy. D near Sarona and stole the license plates off a vehicle parked in the yard. The defendant stated he stole the license plates because he did not want to get stopped or spotted with his own license plates on his car. Prior to arriving at the Closs home, the defendant stated he stopped on a side road somewhere east of Barron and removed both the front and rear license plate from his car which he described as an older red colored Ford Taurus. and placed the stolen license plate on the rear of his car. The defendant stated he made other modifications to his vehicle. The defendant stated he removed and disconnected the dome light in the vehicle so that when he exited or entered the vehicle it would not illuminate his presence. The defendant stated he also removed the trunk light and what he described as the glow in the dark kidnapping cord from the trunk so that no one could pull the trunk release once inside. The defendant stated that, prior to leaving his house. he took his father‘s 12 gauge Mossberg pump shotgun which he described as having a black stock and a silver or chrome-colored finish on the barrel. The defendant stated that he selected this particular gun because he had done research and knew that the Mossberg brand shotgun was one of the most heavily manufactured or owned shotguns and assumed it would be more difficult to trace The defendant stated he took out six 12 gauge shotgun shells. which he described as being slug shotgun shells from an ammo box in the garage. The defendant stated he felt that a 12 gauge slug would inflict the most damage on someone and would most likely be the best choice of shell and weapon to kill someone versus a rifle The defendant stated he wiped down the shotgun shells while wearing gloves and cleaned and wiped down the shotgun while wearing gloves so there would be no fingerprints or DNA on either of them. The defendant stated he did this solely for the purpose of making sure there would be no fingerprints or DNA on the shotgun. The defendant stated he then loaded the six shells into the shotgun while wearing gloves and was confident there would be no DNA or fingerprints left on either the shotgun or the shells. The defendant described how he shaved his face and shaved all his head hair off and showered before leaving his house. The defendant stated he did this so that he would not leave any DNA or hair at the scene The defendant stated he was wearing brown colored leather steel-toed work boots and regular blue jeans. The defendant stated he was wearing a black colored jacket and had a black colored balaclava mask on. The defendant also stated he was wearing two pairs of gloves on his hands which he described as regular work gloves. The defendant stated that. as he arrived near the Closs residence. he shut off his headlights and basically coasted into the end of the driveway. The defendant stated he parked near the end of the driveway, quietly exited his vehicle and approached the house. The defendant stated he walked on the sidewalk leading up to the front door of the house. As he was walking Up the sidewalk. the defendant stated he noticed James standing in the large picture window. which he indicated was to the left of the front door. The defendant stated he believed James had a flashlight and was shining it outside. The defendant stated he hollered for James to get on the ground. but James kept shining the flashlight and looking outside. The defendant stated he then approached the front steps and opened the glass storm door. The defendant stated he then pounded on the wooden entry door. The defendant stated he saw James looking outside through the small glass {decorative glass with wrought iron design in the center of the wooden entry door) window. The defendant stated James made some comment like show me your badge and assumed James thought he was the police The defendant stated he then raised the shotgun and purposely aimed at James‘ head and pulled the trigger. The defendant stated he knew James immediately collapsed to the ground. The defendant stated he then used his shoulder and tried to break the door open. but was unable to do so. The defendant stated he then ejected the spent shotgun shell, lowered the shotgun toward the doorknob and fired a second round. The defendant stated he then used his shoulder and, after one or two pushes. the door opened up After stepping into the house, the defendant stated he stepped across James' body and knew James was dead. The defendant stated he brought a kitchen type knife that he had in his pocket and a flashlight with him that night. The defendant stated there were no lights on in the house, so he shined his flashlight around the house and noticed that the door straight ahead of him was shut. The defendant stated he approached the door and it was closed The defendant stated he quickly walked through other rooms in the house scanning to see if anyone was in any of the other rooms. The defendant stated he did not see anyone and so he then re-approached the closed door that he had initially seen. The defendant stated the door was locked and barricaded and he kicked it and shouldered it several times trying to forcibly break it open. The defendant estimated that it took him anywhere from 10 to 15 hits with his shoulder before it burst open and he entered into the bathroom. The defendant stated the bathroom curtain was shut and he reached up and grabbed it and ripped it off the rod and threw it onto the floor. The defendant stated that Denise and J.L.C. were seated in the bathtub. Denise with her arms wrapped around J.L.C. in a bear hug. The defendant stated he pulled out a flattened partial roll of black colored Gorilla brand duct tape, handed it to Denise, and told her to place the tape over J.L.C.‘s mouth. The defendant stated Denise was struggling to do that and he set the shotgun down on the bathroom sink. The defendant stated he took the tape from Denise and wrapped tape around J.L.C.'s mouth. and completely around her head. The defendant stated he then had J.L.C. stand up where he then took tape and placed it around her wrists, with her palms together to restrain her hands and arms. The defendant stated he then took the tape and wrapped it around J.L.C.'s ankles. The defendant stated he then removed J.L.C. from the bathtub. With J.L.C, standing hound next to him in the bathroom, the defendant stated he picked up the shotgun, aimed for Denise's head and pulled the trigger as he started to turn away. The defendant stated he aimed for Denise's head because he knew that headshots were the best way to kill a person. The defendant stated he had the shotgun in his one hand. and he reached his arm around J.L.C‘s body and began to drag her out of the house. As he was doing so, the defendant stated he nearly slipped in the blood that had pooled on the floor. The defendant stated he dragged J.L.C. across the front yard toward his car. At one point, the defendant stated he told J.L.C. that she needed to walk and then realized that she couldn‘t because he had taped her legs together at the ankles. The defendant stated he drug her across the yard where he then dropped her near the driver's side door of his car. The defendant stated he then popped the trunk open, dragged J.L.C. to the back of the car, out her in the trunk, and then looked the trunk shut. The defendant stated he then got in his car, removed his mask, and started to drive towards Barron. The defendant stated he had only driven what he thought to be 20 seconds from the house when he yielded to three passing squad cars that were traveling west towards the house with their red and blue emergency lights and sirens on. The defendant stated he was determined he was going to take J.L.C. that night and was going to kill anyone in the house because he could not leave any eyewitnesses behind. Asked what he would have done if he was stopped by the police on the way to his house, the defendant stated he still had the loaded shotgun in the front seat of the car with him. The defendant stated he most likely would have shot at the police. The defendant estimated he was at the Closs home for only about four minutes total. The defendant stated that, once he got to his house, which he indicated is located at 14166 S. Eau Claire Acres Circle Road. in Gordon, Wisconsin, he removed J.L.C. from the trunk and drug her into his house and into his bedroom. The defendant state he cut off the tape and knew J.L.C. was extremely scared, and she was crying. The defendant stated he knew J.L.C. was scared because she had urinated herself and her clothing was wet. The defendant stated he told J.L.C. to change into his sister's pajamas. The defendant stated he then took her clothing, the duct tape‘ and the two pair of gloves he had worn and threw them into a wood fireplace in the basement of the house. The defendant stated he kept J.L.C. at his house by creating a space under his bed. The defendant stated his bed which he indicated is a twin size bed. sits approximately 2 1/2 feet off the ground. The defendant stated he shoved the bed in the corner of his bedroom so it basically only had one side that was open. The defendant stated when he would leave the room or house. He would take plastic totes and would slide them up against the side of the bed so J.L.C. couldn't see out. The defendant stated he then took some barbell weights and free weights in the room and would put them against the totes to make it more difficult for J.L.C. to get out. The defendant stated he did this also so he would know if J.L.C. tried to get out since the weights would be moved. The defendant stated there were at least two occasions when he thought J.L.C. had tried to get out from under the bed and he had struck a wall and screamed a lot to the point where he knew she was scared and she knew that she better never try that again. The defendant stated J.L.C. was fearful of him enough that she knew that she was not to leave the bedroom without him. When he left the house, the defendant stated he would tell J.L.C. that she better not leave and told her bad things would happen to her if she tried. The defendant stated she knew she shouldn't come out from under the bed when he was not there. The defendant stated that because of his anger outbursts J.L.C. complied and did as she was told. At Christmas time, the defendant stated he left the house and went to Superior to visit one of his grandparents. The defendant estimated he was gone for twelve hours. The defendant stated he told J.L.C. that she had to hold it if she needed to go to the bathroom and was not allowed to exit from under the bed until he returned. The defendant stated that when his father would come to the house. which was typically on Saturdays, he would make J.L.C. go under the bed where he again would put the totes and the weights in front of it. The defendant stated he would turn up the radio in his room to cover up any noise that J.L.C. might make. The defendant stated he initially kept the loaded shotgun near a door outside his room with the three remaining shells for protection in case the police came. The defendant stated after about two weeks, he removed the three shotgun shells and placed them in a drawer in an end table on the main floor of the house. The defendant stated he took the empty shotgun and placed it in the trunk of a white car that was broken down in the yard. The defendant indicated the shotgun would either be in the car, or, if his father had found it, would have been moved into the house. The defendant provided locations for where his brown colored steel-toed work boots, black colored jacket, black mask, and jeans he was wearing were located. The defendant stated he was surprised that there wasn't any blood spatter that came back on him, and so he wasn‘t very worried about the clothing. The defendant drew a diagram of the Closs home. On that map. he indicated where the highway was, where he parked, and his approach to the front steps of the Closs home. He included on the map that he drew his return to the car when he dragged JLC from the house and where he had put her in the trunk. The defendant identified on his map where he remembers James was lying on the floor after the defendant shot him. The defendant identified where Denise was when he shot her in the bathtub. The defendant drew out a diagram of the floor plan of his house and indicated on the diagram the garbage can where he had put the license plate he stole before kidnapping J.L.C. The defendant stated that. on the day he was arrested. he told J.L.C. he was leaving for a few hours. The defendant stated he went to Haugen. When he got home. the defendant stated he discovered J.L.C. was not under the bed. The defendant stated he briefly looked around the house and then saw her footprints outside. The defendant stated he then got into his car and started to drive around looking for her. The defendant stated that. after a few minutes, he returned to his house and was met by the police. The defendant stated it was at that point that he knew he was caught. The defendant stated he basically assumed he had gotten away with killing James and Denise. and kidnapping J.L.C. since he hadn't been caught for the first two weeks. The defendant stated he had never met J.L.C. through any social media sites and only learned her name after the abduction and when he got back to his house The defendant stated he learned the names of the two people he shot and killed after seeing their names reported on multiple news programs and social media. The defendant stated he never would have been caught it he would have planned everything perfectly. Detective Nelson reports a search warrant was executed on January 11. 2019. at the defendant's residence located at 14166 S. Eau Claire Acres Circle, in the Town of Gordon. Douglas County, Wisconsin. Detective Nelson reports the search warrant was executed by a team from the Wisconsin Department of Justice, State Crime Lab Field Response Team. Detective Nelson reports that. throughout the course of the two-day search, a total of 89 pieces of evidence were recovered from the property. Among the items recovered are the following: Mossberg silver and black colored shotgun and three remaining shotgun shells Brown colored leather steel-toed boots Black colored jacket Black colored mask Stolen license plate Glow in the dark-colored T-handle trunk safety release lever

WEAU 13 News will be at the courthouse for Jake Patterson's initial appearance. To watch the appearance live when it airs (around 3:30 p.m. central time),

We will also be covering a press conference that will be held by the Barron County District Attorney's Office, right after Patterson's hearing.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Relatives of a 13-year-old Wisconsin girl who was kidnapped after her parents were fatally shot say they aren't asking the girl to tell them what happened while she was held captive for three months.

Her aunts say they're surrounding Jayme Closs with love and attention.

Lynn Closs and Sue Allard told "CBS This Morning" that they're telling their niece they're proud of her for surviving and escaping. Lynn Closs says her niece's strength is incredible and that she took the power away from her captor.

The suspect, Jake Patterson, is scheduled to make his first court appearance Monday.

Investigators believe Patterson broke into James and Denise Closs' home near Barron on Oct. 15, killed the couple and abducted their daughter.

Jayme was missing for nearly three months before she escaped from a cabin in Gordon late last week. She told investigators Patterson had been holding her against her will.

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- The public defenders for the man suspected of fatally shooting a Wisconsin couple and kidnapping their daughter say they'll ask that he appear in person for his first appearance in court, instead of by closed circuit video from jail, as is standard procedure.

Charles Glynn and Richard Jones said they believe Jake Patterson can get a fair trial, but aren't sure where. They say it has been an emotional time for the community of Barron, and that they understand the pain the case has generated.

The 21-year-old Patterson is due in Barron County Circuit Court Monday afternoon after he is formally charged with kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents, James and Denise Closs, at their home near Barron on Oct. 15.

Glynn and Jones say Monday's hearing should be brief.

A man suspected of kidnapping a Wisconsin teenager and killing her parents is due to make his first court appearance.

Twenty-one-year-old Jake Thomas Patterson is expected to appear in Barron County Circuit Court on Monday afternoon, after prosecutors formally charge him with intentional homicide and kidnapping.

Investigators believe Patterson broke into James and Denise Closs' home near Barron on Oct. 15, gunned the couple down and abducted 13-year-old Jayme Closs. She was missing for nearly three months before she escaped from the cabin in Gordon where she said Patterson had been holding her.

Charging documents could shed more light on the case. It's unclear how Patterson became aware of Jayme, and authorities have found no evidence of any interactions between them. Her family says they don't know Patterson.