NEW INFORMATION: Medford shooting suspect identified

19-year-old Harrison Davis of Medford arrested
By  | 

MEDFORD, Wis. (WEAU) -- The suspect in a shooting investigation is in custody following a lockdown in the city of Medford. The Medford Police Dept. says the public is out of danger.

Police Chief Ken Coyer says the suspect, a 19-year-old Harrison C. Davis, is now in custody at the Taylor County Jail.

Coyer said officers got a report just before 3 p.m. Saturday that a suspect was shooting a gun into a man's home on the 500 block of S. Park Avenue in Medford. He said multiple shots were fired at multiple locations but couldn't specify where due to the ongoing investigation.

The incident happened within 1000 feet from the Holy Rosary Catholic School which is in violation of Discharging a Firearm in a School Zone 948.605(3). During the shooting, officers say students were not in the school but it was later reported there were people setting up for massing within the church. Officers say no one was hurt.

Coyer said Davis then took off in a vehicle away from the city of Medford. He was found using the vehicle's description at 6:15 p.m. Saturday, near the Chippewa and Taylor County line, between Gilman and Cornell. Officers say the Davis' vehicle was in the ditch of the 35000 block of CTH-M in Chippewa Co.

Deputies from Chippewa Co. Sheriff's Dept., Taylor Co. Sheriff's Dept., Medford Police Dept. and the WI DNR searched the area where Davis' vehicle was located and took him into custody.

The Medford vs. Chippewa Falls football game was going on at the time and was put on lockdown. Everyone at the game was evacuated into the gymnasium as a precaution. After an all-clear the game resumed just before 6 p.m. (MORE DETAILS BELOW)

Coyer said the school district completed a lockdown right away. He said it was a precaution because police were uncertain of Davis' motive, he had an access to a car and firearm and they didn't want to risk the chance that the suspect would turn his weapon on the large group of people at the game.

"It's important to have open dialogue in regards how we're going to react when things of this nature may come up. That's why the school district constantly trains, law enforcement constantly trains and talk about an open dialogue of what we can do in the future," said Coyer.

Chief Coyer said charges of 1st degree reckless endangerment, discharging a fire arm in a school zone and discharging a firearm into a building are expected.

Medford Police and Taylor County sheriff's deputies are looking at the circumstances leading up to the incident as investigation continues.


A high school football game in Medford was suspended for about two hours, and players and fans were sent to the gymnasium and put on lockdown.

A dispatcher for the Medford Police Department told The Associated Press that police were not releasing details about Saturday's lockdown.

But Wisconsin-Eau Claire Athletics Director Dan Schumacher, who was at the game, says that once inside the gym, everyone was told there was an active shooter in the area.

The Chippewa Falls Area Unified School District released a statement saying the evacuation was "in response to a community event" off school grounds. There were no reports of injuries to players or fans.

The game was tied when it was halted but Chippewa Falls went on to beat Medford, 22-14.


The UW-Eau Claire director of athletics says people at the Medford vs. Chippewa Falls high school football game were put in lockdown following an active shooter situation in Medford.

WEAU reached out to the Medford Police Department but was told no information would be released at this time and a news release would be available at a later time.

UWEC director of athletics Dan Schumacher said he was at the Medford Raiders vs. Chippewa Falls Cardinals football game to watch his son play for Chi-Hi. He said around 3:20 Saturday afternoon, an announcement was made about a lightning strike. Everyone would need to evacuate to the gymnasium at Medford High School.

Football players were cleared the field first, followed by fans from the stands.

Once evacuated to the gym, Schumacher said it was disclosed there was an active shooter in the area, not a lightning strike. No other details on the active shooter was released.

Schumacher said he and his wife went to their vehicle and are on standby, offering their services to the Chi-Hi athletics department if needed.

He said officers in SWAT gear are present on the grounds. A large group of people are still inside the gymnasium, safe.

He said the Medford athletics department said the goal is to resume the game once they get word from the police of an all clear.

Schumacher said Medford High School did an "outstanding job" and "kept everyone calm" and safe during the evacuation. No one from the game was hurt.

The comment sections of our web set are designed for thoughtful, intelligent conversation and debate. We want to hear from the viewers but we are not obligated to post comments we feel inappropriate or violate our guidelines. Here are some of the criteria you should follow when posting comments:

Comments cannot be profane or vulgar. Children and families visit this site. We will delete comments that use profanity or cross the lines of good taste.

We will delete all comments using hate speech. Slurs, stereotypes and violent talk aren’t welcome on our web site.

Comments should not attack other readers personally.

We will delete comments we deem offensive, in bad taste, or out of bounds. We are not obligated to post comments that are rude or insensitive.

We do not edit user-submitted comments.

As a host WEAU 13 News welcomes a wide spectrum of opinions. However, we have a responsibility to all our readers to try to keep our comment section fair and decent. For that reason WEAU 13 News reserves the right to not post or to remove any comment.
powered by Disqus