EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (RELEASE) -- Construction begins next month on the fifth floor of Luther Building at 1221 Whipple St. The project will replace 40 inpatient rooms currently located in the older part of the campus built in the 1970s. The new unit will feature expanded, state-of-the-art and environmentally friendly features.
The $19 million project was fully funded by community donations ranging from $5 to $500,000 received over the past 30 years. The construction is the culmination of a 15-year campus plan and the final phase of the Luther Building.
The south wing of the fifth floor will be the future home of the Neuroscience/Pediatrics/Trauma Department, providing 20 rooms for inpatient care. The north wing will feature 20 Rapid Discovery and Recovery patient rooms for those requiring a stay of less than 48 hours. These rooms will allow staff to closely monitor and treat patients to determine discharge readiness. The floor also will feature inpatient rehabilitation space for physical, occupational and speech therapies, just steps from patients’ rooms.
The fifth floor has remained vacant since the initial Luther Building construction completion in 2010, which added 358,000 square feet to the hospital and replaced outdated facilities.
Completion is expected by February 2017.